PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
Am I missing something? I was looking for birth year pipes on eBay and came across this pipe for $2000.00. Was it hand carved by dwarves and smuggled out of Khazad Dum by an unlucky dwarf who needs gold to settle a family debt of honor??
1977 Dunhill pipe, ROOT BRIAR 61051,MADE IN England 17
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F221338378531

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
Update: I only ask because I’ve seen a few others over the months go for around $150-$300 in same looking condition.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Pffft...that's nothing. I will be able to buy 100's of those when this African King I met online sends me the $40,000,000 he is wiring into my checking account.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Could be to make the other pipes seem like a bargain!
Or, how about this Baldo Baldie for over $6K?
s-l500.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The seller has been asking stupid prices for years. He just lists things so high just to see if there is someone stupid enough to buy. There is no rhyme or reason to his listings.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It strikes me that high-end Dunhills with very attractive grain are often conservatively finished; that is the finish makes no effort to have that grain standout. Think of Michael Parks' finishes that not only show the grain but draw your eyes down into its interim. Peck posted one such a few months back. But any number of pipes show grain better than smooth Dunhills.
Maybe Dunhills never had to be attractive to sell.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If I were half as rich as Jeff Bezos, I wouldn't blink at any of the above. But I'd have an employee searching out actual good buys. (Seems few rich folks blow their money on overpriced stuff)
And, FWIW, the Baldi pipe above doesn't appeal to me at any price.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
I was just about to ask everyone the same thing when I saw a Charatan on ebay yesterday for 2,500 bones starting bid. There was still some slight char on the rim. It's wood and rubber, and I doubt it is a better smoking experience on any of my Savinelli pipes. I just don't get what makes some pipes worth that.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Surprisingly to some, many smokers simply desire a well-made, conservative pipe as they merely wish to smoke it. This is why there are pipes to suit most any wallet and any eye. I wouldn't own a pipe with bamboo, not a fan at all. Yet, I certainly do not begrudge anyone a pipe they find attractive/suitable. It's a personal choice which doesn't seem worth the effort to wonder why they purchased it.

Status
Not open for further replies.