PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Forums made note of the article about the Belgium tobacco Semois featured in a well-written

article in The New York Times Magazine on April 12. Is this a tobacco that is in any available blends

in the U.S. at a price a person could afford? The article made it sound distinctive and unique.

Is this something I can look forward to trying without going to Belgium and tracking down the grower?

Or is this just a rarity to be noted and mentioned to other pipe smokers in passing? Anyone know?

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I have 30yrs worth of brown flake, which has semois. It is fantastic, but good luck finding some. I stocked up in 2009. If you can find it, get it. One of the best smokes around

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I went through the Brussels airport a few years ago, but I doubt Semois shows up at the duty-free shop

because it's too much of a specialty item. I have family that gets to Holland from time to time. I wonder

if Semois gets to Amsterdam or Rotterdam. With all the blends that I haven't tried that are available to me,

maybe I shouldn't bother, but it would be pleasing to add it to my cache and enjoy its unique properties.

I'll ask family when they're headed to Europe again. I do enjoy Perique as a blending tobacco, and Semois

has been compared to that.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here's some more reading on Semois published right here the same time the NYT article came out -
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/when-tradition-endures/
The comments on this review are quite informative -
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/windels-grove-semois-coupe-grosse-tobacco-review/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you Kevin and glp. This fills out a lot of Semois lore from a pipe smoker's point of view. I'll see

if I can catch up with a pouch of this through my traveling family and friends; it sounds worth the trouble.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
And I have to give special thanks to Kevin who shared some of his Semois with me at the Chicago Pipe Show. It's strong and needs to be sipped slowly, but it's quite a remarkable smoke. And somehow I spent a week in Belgium and never managed to get around to buying the stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.