PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Sterling Tobacco Co., giving it up and going out of business. Sad day for the pipe smoking community...

Jan 8, 2013
I have yet to try any Sterling blends. When a tobacco company goes out of business do they sell the rights and recipes of their blends often? Or do those blends normally just disappear into memory? Regardless of all that, I'm sure the man deserves his retirement and some good long relaxing and pipe smoking time :)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If someone want to to buy the rights to the blends, and he wants to sell, and the price is right....otherwise, they vanish. Numerous pipe tobacco companies have changed hands over the last few years, and their blends live on. Others have vanished. It would be a shame to have worked a business for a long time and not be able to cash out on it.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
The Tobacco & pipe shop I have been buying from for more than 35 years is going down .

My good friend Bobby is retireing . He sold me a pipe today that had a price tag of $175 for $75 .

So that will be it for pipe stores in Delaware , he was the only one left. :(

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I wouldn't say pipe smokers are a dying breed, but unfortunately the days of successful B&M tobacco shops are going away. With high tax rates and the low prices from online retailers it makes it hard for the B&Ms to stay around. Its unfortunate really and sad to see another one go.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It's not just tobacconists that are going the way of the dodo bird. B&M's of all descriptions are fading fast. I drove past a Best Buys yesterday and the parking lot was damned near empty. Blockbuster, which once had 5,000 locations is now officially dead. And have you tried to find a camera store, lately?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
The owner of my local B&M will be retiring soon as well. He's planning on selling, so maybe it will remain open (fingers crossed). It's been around for over 50years, 35+ of which he's been the owner. It'd be a real shame to see it close up. I only wish I had the means to buy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.