PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Found this slightly used Aaron Beck Freehand on the Briar Blues site recently. Aaron was a carver from Queens NY and passed away back in 1984. It is a large pipe with a .90 inch diameter bowl, and a 2 1/4" depth. I tried it out tonite, unfortunately in a 100% humidity downpour in 45 degree weather on the porch. But it draws perfectly and the wide bit feels so good. The shape of the carved depressions fits like he grabbed a glob of modeling clay and sqeezed it and then copied the shape. I got a very long, cool,(bowl temperature very low) smoke that was void of the usual ash taste that I always complain about. The small wood band on the stem is just too cool. :D

Beck2.jpg

Beck1.jpg

Beck6.jpg

beck4.jpg

Beck5.jpg

Beck3.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Nice chunk of wood Marty; very organic looking. I hope you have many fine smokes with it. A bit of thought must have been given to work that into a level sitter. A pipe like that makes the cornerstone piece of a nice freehand collection.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Gorgeous pipe hobie! Those thick walls will keep the wood nice and cool during your smokes, one big advantage of these large freehands.
Great designed freehands fit your hand like they were made especially for you and it sounds like you got a keeper. I love the spiral stem, classy!
I know lots of guys like the classic shapes, but why have a pipe that looks like thousands of others when you can have a one of a kind piece of art? hobie is a one of a kind and deserves a one of a kind pipe. How'd you feel holding it? Pretty nice, huh?
Everything about that pipe makes a statement. Load it full for a long contemplative smoke, or load it light for a quickie...you've got the best of both worlds between a large pipe and a small one.
I have serious pipe envy hobie. That is beautiful.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
I'm not a freehand lover but that one is nice. I really like the fact that it sits and that front profile pic is sweet. Congrats and enjoy!

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I am a freehand lover and that pipe is outstanding. With the little feet that let it stand so nice it reminds me of a Preben Holm Hallmark. All that craftmanship was right here in the USA. Now I gotta search for one. Thanks for sharing.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Wow! Marty that looks great!

:worship: I love a good hunky pipe, and it's a sitter too....

I'm in love. :mrgreen:

Uh Oh!

I... I.... must resist PAD!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Thanks for all the positive comments, last night I had no re-lights with that huge bowl and even taking time to drink along the way and ponder how many inches of rain we received as I was toking away...came in this morning to a flooded desk/office here at work. :cry: The pipe was like viewing my wife for the first time, I said, "I've got to have it" :P
Lawrence, I did try out a bowl of 1Q in it, in your honor, I forgot how tasty that blend is.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Awesome pipe, hobie! I'm quite envious! As mlaug said, why have a pipe with a "classic" shape, when you can have a unique, work of art like yours? That is definitely a hunk of briar to proudly showcase in ANY collection (except for sandpiper's collection).
-Jason

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
if Bob likes it, then I love it. :wink:
I think I'll go home and just stare and meditate on that little wooden ring on the stem...that just makes it really unique. I'm a Unique Frique who loves Perique. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.