PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I recently bought two vintage tins of Haddo's Delight. One, from 2002, had a silvery bottom and interior. The other, which was from around the same timeframe, had a gold bottom and gold interior. Both tins looked brand new. No rust, no discoloration on the label, no nothing.
I opened the silver tin and the first whiff told me that something had gone terribly wrong. The tobacco smelled like a stale cigar. The contents were nearly bone dry, fortunately not completely crumbly dry, and the plum and brandy had long since evaporated. I emptied the contents into a Pyrex dish and rehydrated it with distilled water. It's jarred and I'm letting the moisture equalize for a week or so with the hope that it will not be unsmokable. The inner walls of the tin had corroded in a number of places and I could see several holes in the walls. Strange that the label had not been discolored.
Then I opened the gold bottomed tin. The tobacco was beautiful, with that heavenly plum scent. I immediately jarred the contents and will enjoy this fine blend at a later date.
I remember reading that there had been problems with some of the early Pease tins, and now I've experienced it up front and personal. Does anyone know when the gold colored tins were used? The date stamp is smeared and the last digit on the date is incomplete.

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
I've got some 2006 Haddo's and it's in a silver bottom tin and is fine; in fact, I've never seen a gold bottom tin.
The only GLP tins I've encountered problems with are the very early tall narrow ones.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
I'm not sure of the whole timeline for Pease's bags, the tall or gold tins. I do have a gold tin of Cairo that's dated 5/01/2001 if that's any help.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm not sure of the whole timeline for Pease's bags, the tall or gold tins. I do have a gold tin of Cairo that's dated 5/01/2001 if that's any help.
Yes, that's helpful, means the tin could be 2001, which is what I thought I was buying.
The only GLP tins I've encountered problems with are the very early tall narrow ones.
Which is what these are.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Some of those early tall 2 oz. tins had imperfect bottom lids, that had ripples and folds in the metal that therefore did not create a good seal. In a good picture you can see the deformities. I learned this the hard way from opening to a pile of brittle coffin debris. It's been too long ago to remember what date the tins were, but it seems they were around '05. I do remember they were not gold colored.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I dont know if there is any difference in any of the old barrell tins or not. The newer tins seem much more reliable. I had a number of the old style fail and/or rust inside. I believe it was both the silver and gold bottoms. Of course, many, of each were just fine too. I don't think I would invest it those older style tins.

Mike S.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The two tins were clearly of different manufacture. The silver one had ribbing running horizontally around the interior and that's where the corrosion took place. The gold on had straight walls, though there was some corrosion beginning to happen along the solder join. I'm considering jarring my other old Pease tins, rather than leaving them alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.