Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Gotta love this site! Reminds me of all my expensive collecting. :mrgreen:
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/15426

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I always thought being a gentleman had to do with character, not with accoutrements.
Still, wet shaving is cool.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Got a house full of girls. Shave time is my "me" time. As much as I enjoy the ritual of preparing a pipe the shaving ritual is very refreshing. From preparing the perfect hot lather, to the feel of a straight razor and, finally splashing witch hazel on my face after the final pass and wash up. Just heavenly.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
Our uniform standards require I shave. At times my face hates me for it. When afforded the opportunity I can grow a healthy full beard but ultimately I know that its existence is finite and returning to work is inevitable.
With all that in mind, I am stuck shaving for the foreseeable future. I am intrigued by this product line and intend on looking into it.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I turned to wet-shaving years ago because electric razors (and I tried MANY) simply never delivered an acceptable shave. Today I enjoy five different straight razors, a chrome steel Gillette Adjustable double-edge razor, an antique Hall shaving mug, innumerable cakes of Van Der Hagen shaving soap, a badger-bristle shaving brush, a Clydesdale shell strop, Dickenson witch hazel, and Gabels' bay rum.
A good straight- or safety-razor is much like a fine pipe in that, if it is properly cared for, it can last a lifetime or more. Similarly, like most of my pipes, all of my razors are estate pieces.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Last time I shaved was with a Wade & Butcher India steel finished with JNAT hone, with sandalwood soap and just 1 pass. Electric shavers just irritate my skin and when properly maintained, a straight razor can definitely last for more than a lifetime.

:wink:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I love my Solingen Razors. My Father picked up a load of them in Germany at the end of WWII and used them until his death in 1989. My Great Grandfather used to put a candle on the mantelpiece and a bowl of hot water and shave at 4 AM in the morning in the days before electricity. I am not very keen on leather strops and use the the wooden blocks with a razor strop fungus glued to it which works a treat. I usually send my razors back to the UK every other other year to be reground.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Kevin, you are about 30 some days late. I switched from cartridge razor to safty razor right after Christmas. I would have jumped on this vendor, except I now have all the equipment. My wife really enjoys the results, now that I have figured out how to shave without bleeding.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've been so disgusted with trying to get a clean shave that I'm trying, for the first time in my life, to grow a full beard beyond my little goatee. So far, after a month, it looks like hell. Does wet shaving refer to a straight razor?

PS: Ever see Johnny Depp play Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Makes you think twice about a straight razor!

PSS: For Catholics, I discovered a site called "The Catholic Gentleman," which includes pipe smoking as a gentlemanly pursuit.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Sparrow,

I use a "safety" razor - not brave enough for a straight blade. A lot of people like the Merkur brand, I prefer Edwin Jagger razors. The box shown on the website looks interesting.

Here's a great site: www.shaving101.com. (If I remember right, one of our members runs it.)
Michael,

I've bought from the Italian barber before - good guy

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Sparrow, wet shaving mostly means not using an electric razor and using lather when you shave. Most who put much thought into their shaving use a solid soap (usually in a mug) with a brush. I suppose that if you get your shaving cream from a can, it is still wet shaving? Like plateauguy, I have a Jagger razor and like it very much.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode with the puffy shirt.
wx2hJr0.jpg

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Plateauguy, thanks for the link. I'll pursue this later if the beard doesn't turn out well. These darn modern shavers will five head just don't do the job.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
telling my age, but the last time I shaved was with an old spice mug, cake, brush and a gillette double-edged blade with a twist-up razor.
that was 40 years ago.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I have three closed comb Gillettes and an open comb Merkur 15C. Love them all, but get the closest shave with the Merkur. Paired up with a 100 year old German scuttle, sandalwood shave soap, and an Omega badger brush, I thoroughly enjoy shave time. Also have an antique Double Duck straight that I enjoy when I know there will be no distractions during shave time.

Status
Not open for further replies.