PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have been thinking of this since, the original article abut this club,
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-smoking-lifestyle/wet-shaving-pipes-and-gentlemanly-pursuits/
Here is a picture of the box:

Here is a picture of the razor and the soap that came in the box. The shaving soap is from Whiskers Soap Company, their orange tobacco flavor. http://www.whiskerssoapshop.com/shaving-soaps-creams/

My wife enjoys the scent of the soap and the aftershave lotion. The razor feels solid and does a good job. It takes more than one shave to get a good feel for a new razor and new blades. I think this is a great deal for someone who wants to try a safety razor. It provides everything you need for a low price.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looks like it would be a great introduction! If I weren't already a big fan of Merkur, and Taylor of Old Bond Street products, would probably jump on it myself.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
That's a good start! I shave my face and head with a D/E razor. I like the soaps with menthol in them. I buy the spray bottles at Target in the travel size section. Then fill them with witch hazle and maybe a splash or two of aftershave. Or not I have two and one is just plane WH. It helps a lot to sooth the after shave effects.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
@zekest Try a safety razor with a shaving mug and soap, and a good quality badger brush. You will never go back to disposables or cartridges!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I've wondered about wet shaving for some time now but was concerned as I too shave my head. My facial hair is quite fine so I knew that wouldn't be a problem. Now that I see that it can be used for shaving my melon I might have to give it a try. Years ago I used a mug and soap to shave but that was still with a cartridge style razor.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
For your head, get a safety razor with a closed comb, and use short repetitive strokes. Open comb razors are very agressive and can nick badly if you have never used one. Also, let the weight of the razor do the work; use as little pressure as possible.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I don't know, gus55... I got those same blades with my Merkur when I first started and they tore my face up. I threw the remaining blades out. I use WILKINSON SWORD BLADES when I use my DE razor. But like so many things in life, what works for some doesn't work for others.
Just my $0.02... YMMV
-Jason

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, given time and proper technique I think most blades can work. I have found I like the Astra blades best. I usually am too busy most mornings and just fire up the old electric, but Friday nights, after all the chores are done, and then again Sunday morning, I take the time for a proper shave.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Feather blades in a Gillette fatboy set on 5. I usually use a tub of cream with a badger brush.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
I use straights myself. Every once in a while when feeling rushed I will use the Merkur DE loaded with a Feather blade. Most of the time though it's a Dovo silver steel or Sheffield.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Depending on my mood - either an EJ89 or a shavette for me. My proper Straight needs a good honing before it's back to shave ready sharpness.
For the DE/Shavette, I was a fan of Derby blades, but picked up a pack of unbranded blades from Boots that seem to work better. They're allegedly Personna blades, so I guess I'll be ordering a few more packs... Tried Feathers, and it didn't end well. I looked like I'd lost an argument with an angry badger, blood everywhere!

tlag77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I use an old 55 gillette ball end and astra blades, I started DE shaving about a year and a half ago, I haven't used a cartridge since, I have also saved a ton of cash.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I started saving money by buying a vintage DE and a brush and some soap a couple of years ago. Now a not so small collection of razors mocks me each morning. That being said it's cool using something 50 or more years old that still works as well as the day it was made.
Techs, Fat Boys, Slims, Black Beauties, ABCs, oh, the humanity.
Shaving soaps and creams provide for yet another acquisition disorder. . .
Ren

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I use Gillette Super Speeds..... I have 3 and love them. I've got a few Fat Boys too, and they just don't work for me?? I always use Feathers, usually with Proraso cream-- GREAT SHAVE!

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Wet shaving and pipe smoking are both definitely different strokes for different folks kinds of activities.
My Fat Boy works well for me with Gillette Silver Blues and Proraso white. I usually add some glycerin to the lather. It makes a huge improvement.
Ren

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I think I figured out what razor is included in the first box. The Mercur Classic Safety razor is identical, but in the smooth portion at the bottom of the stem does not have Mercur engraved. Instead Wet Shave Club is engraved on the top of the razor.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002A8JO48/ref=as_li_ss_tl?tag=shopperz_origin2-20&ascsubtag=495060258054-2-832279665.1429488082

Status
Not open for further replies.