PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
After drying my aeromatics to where it doesn't stick bit the filters in my cobs are very wet when I take them out
Do I need to dry it more?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A certain amount of condensation is produced by smoking even fairly dry tobacco. Notice that your

pipe cleaner is almost always a little damp after being run through the airway. This isn't so much

saliva as water condensed by the burning tobacco. Likewise, the filter on your cob pipe will get a

little damp. After a few smokes, replace it, or try it without. (I find that the airway is a too open and

it diminishes the flavor, but some people really like it; your choice.)

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks mso478, I have been changing the filters after every smoke, guess I could try 2 bowls on one and see how it does. I have learned that if you tamp when almost done with a bowl the filters in the cobs will get completely plugged up

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Some blends will let you go three smokes on a filter. I find two is usually the max (if you're smoking the same blend back to back). I always use filters with pipes that were designed to accept filters. Some might tell you other wise. Try everything and decide for yourself.

+1 mso

The moisture of your tobacco will have almost no effect on the condensation in your pipe. Even when I smoke a bone dry, crunchy tobacco, there is a lot of water in some of my pipes. The filter actually creates turbulence which draws the water out of the smoke. Some like this as reducing the moisture of the smoke curbs the bite that some blends give.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
If the OP is referring to MM cobs I have all of mine with Forever Stems which will not allow a filter. I may be wrong, but it seems as though the Forever Stems have a smaller diameter hole and reduces a very open draw as opposed to the plastic stems that come with the MM cob. I've never been a fan of filters as it's just too much bother and only some unseeded thing to fuss over. But, be that as it may.
If you insist on a filter just simply cut about a 2" piece of a pipe cleaner, fold it and place that in as a filter. It absorbs the moisture quite well and when you're finished you simply toss it out. No muss... no fuss and very cheap. :wink:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
^^ That's not the case with Savinelli balsa filters which is about the only filter that I've occasionally used. They can be used for a few bowls with no fear of them overloading with moisture and causing any gurgling. Also, they can be used with the MM cobs.

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks for the tips, I did 2 bowls of a cherry that is almost crunchy that was still getting a lot of moisture and with out the filter in my MM cob it was not to bad.
I find I do have to take very small sips or the cob gets very hot.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Depending on what I'm smoking I can get 5-6 smokes out of a filter. It's not hard to tell when the filter is wet and needs to be changed. I smoke mostly burleys and Burley/Va blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.