PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
This Blend was given to me as a gift, I have heard of Wessex, but never tried any of their blends before. I was looking up reviews to kind of get an idea of what to expect before I opened the tin I looked through about a dozen sights with only 1 written review on this blend, that wasn't a real blend review just a review saying their is nothing special and that he could find blends like it for a cheaper price, so it was no help to me. the only thing I could do is open it out and try it myself.
Contents: Oriental/Turkish, Virginia, Latakia

Flavoring: None

Cut: Ribbon

Strength: Medium

Flavoring: None Detected

Taste: Medium to Full

Room Not: Tolerable
Gold Standard is a full bodied classic British pipe tobacco mixture produced by Wessex from an exclusive formula. Only pure, natural Virginia, Latakia and Turkish tobaccos, blended and aged properly. No flavoring, nothing artificial. Just rich tasting fine tobacco.
When I opened the tin the tin note reminded me of McClelland's Frog Morton Cellar, or McClellands Bulk 5110. Their was a very earthy musky smell to it. The tobacco itself was a nice dark color, not to moist but not to dry. Very easy light is stayed lit and didn't go out, and it burned evenly all the way down. the strength of this blend was a medium with no tong bite it was similar in taste to McClelland's Bulk 5110 not complex, it was stronger taste, but still very smooth. The room note was stronger then the taste with that musky woodsy smell. I really did enjoy this blend, it is good as a stronger early morning smoke, but not to strong were you couldn't enjoy it any other time of the day.
If I am missing anything in any of my reviews or have any questions that I did not answer in my review please feel free to ask and I will try to adjust my reviews to fit it in their. these reviews are meant to be as unbiased and open to not perswade you but to inform you on the different tobacco blends to see if they would be something you would like to try.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
bulldog, how would you rate the strength of Wessex Gold? How forward is the Latakia? Is the Virginia or Oriental

dominant? Does the flavor change through the bowl, or stay pretty steady? It sounds like it would be tasty. How's

the moisture level? Does it burn fairly evenly? It sounds interesting, which prompts the questions. Thank you for

the review!

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
Mso I would say the latakia was not to dominant I believe it was more of the oriental that was the most dominant, but the virginia helped to balance it out to make the oriental not overpowering. The moisture levels for me were perfect if you like the tobacco a little more on the dry side you can dry it out but it might cause a tong bite. It did burn evenly all the way down with a nice white ash and white smoke. thank you for your questions I try to wright these and add in so much and always forget something.

Status
Not open for further replies.