PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I enjoy this tobacco and bought 10 bricks to cellar. However, the bricks come in what appears to be a flimsy cellophane package? Does anyone cellar this stuff and if so how do you do that? One idea I had is to be the massive canning jars and just drop the bricks (with cellophane on) in and seal them up. I am just nervous about the integrity of the cellophane.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Check out the jars I have on the first shelf, they are bail top with silicone gaskets. I buy them at walmart and store all my bulks in them. The ones showing there will hold ten of the bricks, or 2 pounds of flake. They have even larger ones that will hold 5 pounds of my St James Flake. The ones that are a bit shorter will hold 1.5 pounds.
Just ordered another 5 bricks tonight, I cannot wait to see what age does to it. I like it fresh but I know it is going to age very well.

DSC09706.jpg

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'd take the brick out of the cellophane and cellar it in a mason jar - one brick per jar.
I would also consider cutting it in half and going by 50 g increments for the same reason that roth notes above. If I could find smaller jars, I'd prefer that route.
I'd rather have many small jars than a few large ones so that they could age without interruption.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
As far as I've seen, that cellophane is unique to the Gold Brick, I've never seen any other tobacco packed exactly like that.
You can easily fit 5 bricks in a "normal" sized mason jar. I remove the cellophane, but I don't think it's going to make a difference.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All my big jars are for long term aging. I have one jar that I keep some of my aged SG bulks that I smoke out of. then the rest get closed and do not see the light of day for years. I have smaller glass jars that have bale tops and rubber gaskets that only hold 4-5 ounces that I also use to smoke out of. I cannot imagine storing 35 pounds in jars that only hold a few ounces, that is just too many jars and I don't have the space. Everyone has their methods of storing and aging and what ever works is all that counts.
I have one of my bricks in a glass jar, the rest are put away. When I get my next order in,I will take one more brick to smoke and store the rest for long term.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Well you guys tripped my trigger today...I ordered seven bricks to get the free shipping from SP. P&C was much higher on this blend, plus it gets here faster with SP's UPS shipping.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Now I'm wishing I'd bought ten, in case they have to break up a quantity bag.
edit: Well I just called Smoking Pipes, and the Wessex Gold Bricks only come individually.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I've been on a bit of a plug binge lately and have really enjoyed this one. Nothing fancy, a nice medium Virginia. I was wondering what a year or two will do for this, have any of you gone back to this with some age on it? Is anyone smoking this regularly?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Peck started this thread 2 years ago...maybe he'll tell us about it now.
The stuff I bought all went (still in original package) into quart jars.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
davet, over the late summer and fall I smoked a brick that I'd put up in 2009. I can't say that it has undergone a major change, I think the sugars have come forward a little, and the bits of grass and brightness have receded, leaving the overall taste just a bit darker than when fresh.

Dec 24, 2012
I haven't opened any in some time. I have some with about 3 years of age so I should open one soon and test it out.

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
I bought 5 bricks and opened one. Very good stuff.

For the remaining 4, I cut a large vacuum seal bag into smaller pieces that were large enough to fit the bricks and sealed them individually. I'm pretty sure it worked, but we shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.