Were You Ever A One Blend Smoker?

(35 posts)
  • Started 2 weeks ago by JimInks
  • Latest reply from raybrown55
  1. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have never been one of those. Not even from the beginning. How about the rest of you?

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never been a one blend smoker, until very recently. I smoke Granger all the time. I'll still smoke other blends, but it's not even remotely close. In ratio its probably 10 to 1. I find that both fascinating and odd.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  3. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have always enjoyed a variety of blends even at the beginning. I would quit the pipe if I was resorted to only one blend.

Harris
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  4. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

For a very brief period I only smoked Captain Black white. Shameful, but there it is.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  5. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Variety is the spice of life! I smoke 965 the most but I would miss a bowl of other things form time to time.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  6. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never. Oh, there've been times when I might favor one blend over all the rest, say 2 bowls to one, maybe, but just a single blend only, never.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Used to not be, but am quickly becoming one. I've smoked nothing but Angler's Dream for the past month.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I bought my first pipe at Tinderbox, I think I just had one blend, a Tinderbox bulk blend that was named something like North Star, or another name, almost certainly a Lane or Sutliff re-named by Tinderbox to keep customers coming back. I think I may have had that and maybe one other for a long time. Not until I came back after a hiatus of several years did I get used to a wider variety of blends. Aftertaste from the aromatic flavoring had become a downside of pipe smoking. Then I had some trouble with bite and burn, also from flavoring. When I tried non-aromatic blends, it was a whole new day on both aftertastes and bite. Now I smoke a wider range of non-aro, some aro, and milder as well as full-strength blends. I went through the usual course of being lured by extra strong blends, which I still like, but I range around more. Sometimes I'll stick with one blend every other smoke and find that enjoyable as well. I've also found extremely mild blends like Spillman Mixture an interesting change of pace.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  9. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never been a 1 blend smoker, but throughout my 40+ years of smoking have always only smoked 2 blends at a time. Do change up the blends smoked periodically however.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  10. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Back in the early 60's when I first was introduced to the pipe I was working in a pipe shop in Coral Gables, Fl. the owner was a man named Kirk who was a certified blender. He blended several of his own labels and the one I liked the most was all I smoked for several years. He had many tins in his shop and plenty to choose from, but his one blend I fell in love with and smoked it religiously never having an interest in trying other blends. Probably a mistake at the time...but he said "if you like what you are smoking then smoke it until you tire of it"...never got tired of it. He also introduced me to the Comoy brand of pipe which is what I started out with...still have it..a Golden Grain Canadian.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  11. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Jiminx, what's the time frame specified here?

When I started out, and discovered Carter Hall, I smoked that for probably 3 years straight. Then I found a couple other blends I liked, and MANY I didn't like. I then veered off to smoking Carter Hall still daily, but not in every bowl.

Then with my one cob one year thread, I smoked Carter Hall for probably 7 months of that year.

I perfer being simple about my smoking. Out of the 3 other blends I now cellar and smoke, 2 of them need age on them. Otherwise I could smoke any of them by themselves.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  12. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Earlier, in the beginning phases of pipe smoking (52 yrs ago) I was, but I've worked my way out of infancy and now smoke many blends. Funny thing is, I'm trying to work my way back to just smoking one blend. Flat out reason is, I'm retired, on a fixed income and just can't afford all these different blends anymore.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  13. railman

railman

Login to Send PM

Nope, there’s just too much good variety out there to settle on one thing, I always look forward to opening that next tin. Even when I started I smoked through all the different OTC blends my B&M carried, and even after graduating to tins I was actually forced to variety as the B&M had one tin each of (and I smoked them in this order) Davidoff Scottish Mixture, Aperitif (forever changed my pipe smoking life!), Nightcap, and EMP. After I worked my way through that lineup it was quite a while before they got any tins back in stock (makes me wonder now how long those must have sat there before I bought them?).

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  14. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

While I would never presume to quibble with my friend mso489, I was intrigued by his mention of Spillman Mixture and looked it up on Tobaccoreviews.com. It gets quite a mixed review. Some said it was wonderful and some compared it to dirty socks. As Tom would no doubt agree, tastes vary and your mileage may vary. I would be interested in a bowl or two but hesitate to purchase a quantity for my cellar.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  15. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never was, my palette seems to go blank if I don't change it up. I only very rarely smoke the same blend 2 times in a row.
    And, BTW, if I'm trying a new blend I always have to go see what Jim thought. I know you've led me to some good blends and probably away from a few stinkers.

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  16. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Back in the 90's, when I first started smoking a pipe, I had Nightcap, 965 and Early Morning on hand in the beginning. In a few months, it was Nightcap all of the time.

Now, I'm into VaPers and everything else. So, I switch it up every time I fill a bowl. Variety is definitely more enjoyable with all of the great blends out there these days.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  17. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

The only time I was a one-blend man was, well, before I was a man.

I started smoking pipes when I was about 15, and at that time my only supply of tobacco was straight dark-fired burley from our tobacco barn. Not what you'd call a nuanced smoke, but I enjoyed it enough to keep at it.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  18. samw74

samw74

Login to Send PM

Great topic Jim. For the first seven years I only smoked Captain Black (white) and occasionally Barclay Rex’s Barclay Rum. After 7 years, I began experimenting with English blends - Davidoff Royal, Dunhill Nitecap and EMP. This Latakia only practice continued for another 12 years when I joined these online forums. Now I smoked everything daily (burley, balkans, Va, orientals, etc) except aromatics. Life is good now.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  19. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope, as with anything I do, once I get into something, I really get into it and explore as much as I possibly can. While I’m pretty much done exploring I still have a wide variety of blends I smoke from with a handful of daily staples.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  20. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Always, almost from the get-go, its been Dunhill My Mixture 965. We're at the beach, I brought along a four year old jar of OGS, my real hot weather blend. I think that I'll probably get at least another beach week out of that one tin....

Al

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

geopiper

Login to Send PM

Early on, I only smoked W.O. Larsen's Signature Blend because I didn't know any better. I was given a tasting of this blend at the Briar Patch in Sacramento and for a while that's all I bought.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  22. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not with pipes. Before I even started smoking I had read everything I could find about pipes and tobacco.
    But for more than 20 years before that I smoked cigarettes, never more than one brand at a time and for the last 10-12 years one brand only. During those many years, flavor was never a priority. It was about the nicotine, mouth and throat feel and burn characteristics.
    So in a way I was a one blend guy. But as a pipesmoker I'm not and never have been.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  23. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ray47 said: " Flat out reason is, I'm retired, on a fixed income and just can't afford all these different blends anymore."
    That is why I started to cellar in the last year before retirement...thanks to my good friend AJ who told me to "get it on!"

Now I have a cellar that will hopefully last until I die.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  24. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Yeah, when I smoked my first bowl

Since then I've branched out a bit...

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  25. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

I smoked one blend for nearly 8 years. Out of maybe three pipes that whole time. For the first 15 or so years of my smoking, I liked a variety of aromatic and non aromatic blends, eventually settling on blends with a lot of perique. Then I put the pipe down for a couple of years. When I picked it back up, my 'mostly a cigar shop' tobacconist had a bulk aromatic that I liked well enough, so I started ordering it a half pound at a time a couple of times a year.

Fast forward to a year ago now. I went to make the order and it turns out to have been a McClelland blend and no longer available. I found this forum while trying to figure out what had happened to the company. In that time I've tried close to 50 blends, started messing with flakes and such, purchased a few new pipes for the frist time in more than a decade, developed a traveling pipe cabinet, and planted a couple dozen tobacco plants.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  26. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wish I was ... my wife would sure be happier. On the other hand I have not found the no 1 go to all day all night blend. I may smoke a favorite like Royal Yacht (well maybe not ry anymore) or st. bruno back to back tins/pouches, or like ash mentioned, smoke one of them more frequently than others, but the itch for this or that always pops up.

Oh, and by the way, what is this Tinderbox? I don't remember running across this store when I was in the US ...

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  27. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

I smoked one Chief Catoonah blend -- 'Fifth Regiment' -- for the first 25 yrs of my smoking career. Not sure what I was thinking. Very little?

Non Serviam
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  28. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Ah, I forgot about Chief Catoonah (RIP), Princes blend?. I occasionally enjoy an alternate to MM965, which is the death knell for that blend or shop (Imperial Dubec from the now gone Annapolis Smoke Shop, etc.)

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  29. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For a period I can be a one style or company smoker, but never a single blend. I may stick to one for a week to try it all different ways, but I still usually mix something else into the rotation.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

thedbs999

Login to Send PM

For the longest period of time I was a fan of Prince Albert as that is what grandpa smoked. Then after a couple years i was some where i coould not get Prince Albert and had to go with Carter hall. I still like them both, but with age I've branched out.

Dan

Posted 1 week ago #
  31. ryeguy

ryeguy

Login to Send PM

During my first semester of college, when I was first learning to smoke, I was a one blend smoker (I think it as SWR, thought it's been a while so I can't be sure).

Like workman, I was a one-blend cigarette smoker (Drum).

But today, I'm in the same boat as madox,

I wish I was ... my wife would sure be happier. On the other hand I have not found the no 1 go to all day all night blend.

Variety isn't an end for me. I want to be a one-blend (or maybe a 3-5 blend) smoker, but I keep collecting new tobaccos while I look for the one (or 3, or 5) blend(s) that I won't tire of.

Posted 1 week ago #
  32. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

I rarely smoke the same blend twice in a row. Of course, when working on a new blend, I would make an exception.
    That said, while I'm at work I smoke the same type of blend all the time - i.e. - a$$kickers. Otherwise I wouldn't make it through the day.

Russ

Posted 1 week ago #
  33. cachimbero

cachimbero

Login to Send PM

I started trying every easily available blend. That meant aromatic pouches (Clan, any Borkum Riff, Amsterdamer).Then, one day, I found the Dunhill international squared tins and really liked MIld Blend. This made me try every Dunhill blend available, and everything changed. Nowadays, I have always an English and a Virginia open, usually three or four open tins, but, when a tin is over, I never open another of the same blend. I like variety.

Posted 1 week ago #
  34. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

before days when I smoked cigarettes, I mostly smoked one chosen blend as after dinner, mostly it was something with latakia, primarily Dunhill blends,whereas today when I had pretty much quite with cig smoking I usually have something like 3-to max. 4 open tin/pouches at a time, though where possible I tend not to open the very same blend type I had just finished earlier, it is the variety keeps things interesting to me

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 week ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

raybrown55

Login to Send PM

I've been a one blend smoker for decades (tipically aromatics, but also for a long time Amphora Original Blend), only about seven years ago I discovered that I liked nearly every type of blend (except cigar leaf) and started to rotate between them

Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   peckinpahhombre, cortezattic, 5star, timt, jeff540, pappymac