PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I don't really discuss my issues because I don't want people to feel bad for me. But I wanted to share something with the group because I had a great night and that itself is noteworthy.

I am disabled due to spinal issues and a seizure disorder. When my seizures began I lost my ability to work and picked a guitar up to pass the time. I was just starting to get pretty good and was even starting to do a few live shows at local bars when my disk and vertebra exploded during a seizure. My first surgery was last April and I have only been out to Dr appt's and the store a few times since then.

I went to my Lodge's open jam night last night and had a freekin' blast!!! I am paying for it with pain today but it was so worth it. It felt so damn good to get out of the house, drink a couple Scotch and sodas, and jam for a few hrs with all my musician friends.

This means I am finally on the mend and I wanted to share some good news with the group. You guys and gals probably don't realize sometimes what a great break from the grind of everyday life this site can be and I appreciate the warm welcome and efforts to make this one of the better forums out there :)

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
i understand u spyder71, i have 3 herniated discs and am awaiting surgery, cant be comfortable, sitting, standing, laying, etc. For a yr and a half i have to take gabepentin and morphine 2-3 times daily just to function. I used to play poker turnys, bowl, hunt, fish etc. Now i am lucky to be able to git out to the Mall and then i have to stop and sit every 5-15 minutes. So yes, i am glad u enjoyed urself last nite, in a case like that, the pain the next day is just a reminder of the good time u had.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Good for you, spyder. What guitar are you playing? I've been playing for 48 years. The other guitarist in our band has severe back issues and has to stay away from his les Paul because of it's weight. I usually play my Strat or my Reverend Rocco, which weighs next to nothing. Makes playing for several hours a bit easier.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Glad You can get out from time to time, jamming with friends is the best. :puffy:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Spyder, good to hear you got to go and about last night.
I'm about as musically gifted as a cat in heat... in other words people run when I start to sing ;-) So I'm always impressed by those than can play or sing. Enjoy it !

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
This is the best I can do as far as a pic of one I played last night. I also built a Tele out of parts in all black and chrome. My usual guitar is a Schecter Hellraiser but it is as heavy as a Les Paul being primarily the same wood construction.

DSCF1293.jpg

dog butt

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Nice fat Strat, there are a lot of us on here with knackered backs so we no what you are going through, Guitar playing has been a good distraction to pain for me for years, pipe smoking helps to relax. Keep Happy. :)

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Awesome night sounds like! Thanks for sharing. Spyder, I wish you and fisher all the best with your back issues!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I don't have any serious health issues but I live a good 45 min away from any of my friends and rarely get the chance to just hang out and shoot the bull. So I do understand how great it is just to be will the buds for even a few hours.
Now if I can only get them all hooked on pipes...

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Heck, my back is fine and I find Les Paul's overly heavy, particularly as the night grows long. Glad to hear your getting out and back to enjoying the finer things in life; good times, good friends, good tunes, good scotch, and, of course, good tobacco.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I love guitar. I wish I could play the music that I dream up.
My Dad got me interested when I was 14, and within a couple of years I got about as good as I am now, which isn't great. I hit a 'technical ability' wall. I know my chords and a few songs but couldn't progress further.
spyder71 - who are your influences?

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
Hope it was a good time. I'm not so great at jamming with others these days. In my days before the military I was a lot more relaxed and could sit down and play nothing for an hour and a half with some of my friends. I just got in a new Squier Classic Vibe strat as a base for my first project guitar.
You guys should check out the new (2008+ I think) Les Paul Studio's. They're routed on the inside in such a way that the wood resonates the same way as if it were a solid body. My Studio weighs as much (maybe SLIGHTLY heavier) as my strat and is a heck of a lot lighter than my telecaster.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
Coupe of things
First, Spyder71 sorry about your back pain but hope you had a really good time jamming last night. My younger sister had epilepsy so I understand what that is like
Second, interesting how many pipers are also guitarists. I hack at an Epiphone Les Paul.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Your lodge has open jams? That's cool! I rock a little hard for most of the guys at my lodge. I did play at a dinner on the acoustic for them and they liked that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.