PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Looks like they've gone and done it....Like I figured they likely would.
capture.jpg

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
Doesn't surprise me one bit. I'm sure the libs won't have a problem with THC edible gummy worms being sold at 7-11, but god forbid somebody wants some Royal Yacht.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
whereas The government in Finland just got proposed the new law Bill which suggest that tobacco products price should keep increasing every year at least % 5 in order to make this very country 'smokeless in 2030 ,so consequence today a 1,75oz pouch of Mc Baren Golden extra goes for $ 20 and a pack of Marlboro reds $ 8,00, next year more and border crossing 'import is on the constant rise,is that what they want?Even our Customs authorities are against those proposed price increases but nobody seems to paying attention to these warnings.

smokeydogg

Lurker
Apr 30, 2018
For a culture that prides themselves in personal freedom and individualism they are sure quick to take it away if it doesn't line up with their agenda.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
They're pushing what they think is best for everyone, onto everyone while screaming that it's "for the children". Well I'm very sorry, but my enjoyment of any tobacco I want shouldn't come at the cost of you not being able to control your child. I'm an adult and I can make decisions for myself. I don't need you telling me what I can and cannot buy just because you don't like something. I still can't believe that R.J. Reynolds spent $12M there to oppose this ban and still lost. Just goes to show how demonizing they made it sound. I just hope it doesn't spread, cause if it does, I'm gonna have to learn how to grow, cure, and blend my own tobacco.......and it's freaking hot here in the south man...

smokeydogg

Lurker
Apr 30, 2018
I fully expect that they will ban flavored alcohol next right? If this was done to protect kids then surely they have to get rid of alcohol that "taste good" too? Or maybe they are just hypocrites...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Children who will inherit a world run by control freaks are unprotected.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Just a matter of time before tobacco products are priced out of the market for most people or outright banned. If you enjoy smoking, you should be cellaring what you want to smoke the remainder of your life in the next 2 to 5 years. Aged tobacco is better and it's not going to get any cheaper. You also have the potential issues with FDA regulations, raw materials shortages and the potential for tobacco sales to be prohibted over the internet.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Hoosier, every time I consider recommendations like yours, however apt, I think about its impracticality in my case. As to laying aside a lifetime's supply in next 3-5 years, for me, given current age and rate of smoking that calculation comes out like 20 (years of life optimistically), x 12 pounds, (per year), x $40 per pound conservatively = $9600. 8O

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Irishearl: Break it down to what you can afford to buy per month. Use sales and bulk blends to make your dollar go farther. $100 per month would add up to $6000 in 5 years. Or do $50 or whatever you can afford per month. Trust me it adds up quick!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Apply to your state for a retail tobacco sales license and a sales tax license. Should take you all of an hour to do it. Then start buying wholesale. You can do this as a sole proprietorship and an informal DBA. Don't sell to anyone, and declare a business loss on the sched c at the end of the year.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
prairiedruid, I appreciate the encouragement. However, $50 a month is what I currently spend which buys me enough tobacco to last a month. Am afraid I cannot afford even another $50 on top of that to cellar.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
San Francisco should be more concerned about all the homeless drug addicts sleeping, urinating and defecating on the streets. Great city going to trash. But legislating tobacco use will solve all the problems. Idiots.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I can imagine that standing on the Marin Headlands overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge would be a particularly nice place to contemplate the scenery and smoke a pipe. Except for the wind. Anyhow. I knew they would pass this. Perhaps if the tobacco industry had sold it as being for people who like to smoke but don't want to get high all the time... C'est la vie. I fear this portends laws in other places across the country. Mothers don't let yer sons grow up to be pipe smokers.

EDIT: Never lived in San Francisco but have visited

Status
Not open for further replies.