PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Now I've looked up WDC Wellington pipes, they went out of business - it looks like Roma (Savinelli's 2nd) are making "Wellington type" pipes now. I show on ebay that the prices are pretty low - as the WDC Wellington's were more marketed towards the working man - and were Peterson (knock-offs). http://www.ebay.com/bhp/estate-pipes-wellington
Wellington on The Briar Files:

http://briarfiles.blogspot.com/2008/02/william-demuth-co-wellington.html
More on History and pipes:

http://kaywoodie.myfreeforum.org/archive/w.d.c.-master-list__o_t__t_191.html
So that said - any reason someone would be asking $150 bucks for this Wellington? I'm coming at this not knowing if there is a reason why someone would price it so high- was there something special? Cause this person on facebook posted the pics and said "for sale".... and they seem to be continually selling pipes...

7gY43EI.jpg

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I've noticed a wide range for Wellington's on e-bay. Anywhere from $10.00 to $100.00. I don't think the market has settled yet, like it has for Peterson's, etc. In my opinion, they're about right between $30.00 and $75.00 for the very best specimens. I certainly don't see $150.00 there.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
@gtclark, thanks, kinda along my way of thinking too. I mean I could just buy the same or similar for $20 and buff it on the buffer too... which is really all it looks like is its a good pipe that just got a quick cleaning.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I have no knowledge of the Wellington brand. But when I've seen similar approaches on eBay, I've just sent a note to the seller asking about the reason for the unusually high pricing. Sometimes they don't have a clue. Sometimes they paid way more for something than it was worth and they're just trying to get that back. And sometimes there's a significant detail they failed to mention in their description. But I'd encourage you to just ask the seller.
Bob

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
The most I've ever paid for a jumbo Wellington was a little over twenty bucks. Add onto that price the afternoon you will spend cleaning it up. I enjoy doing that, so it's actually a plus for me if the pipe looks like trash when it gets to me.For a shiny one like that I imagine somebody might pay fifty or sixty bucks.
I do like all my Wellingtons. The large ones are great for sitting and reading since they will rest comfortably on my chest, no hands required. The middle-sized ones seem harder to find and the baby ones are ubiquitous.
wellingtons_zpsae3232af.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.