PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
Visiting the Wellauer tobacconist in St Gallen (CH) (http://www.welltabac.ch/wellauers-pfeifentabak/) I discovered, that they now have copied the whole range of the dunhill blends. Got me some 965 and give my impression here.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Now everyone is issuing their own matches. I say to that - get rid of those second hand imitations and bring the real thing back.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I've only had the modern versions of Dunhill, and I never really found one that I liked well enough to be devastated over upon its disappearance. That said, I know a lot of people love those tobaccos, so I hope they show up again.
What do you think of these versions, Thomas?

raybrown55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2017
I've tried Wellauer Nightcap and I find it very good and very similar to the Dunhill NightCap (last version)

raybrown55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2017
Sorry, I've tried Wellauer Nightcap only, from Dubini, Chiasso (Switzerland); they have 965 and other Dunhill (english/balkan) copies too, maybe they can send in the States...

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I like this blend quite a bit but I’m not sure how close it is to the original. Difficult to say since the Wellauer tin is a little on the moist side whereas my open Dunhill tin is quite dry and aged some years. The underlying sweetness of the cavendish is there but less pronounced than in the Dunhill version (STG). It’s a little more oriental forward IMHO, almost like a Balkan blend and a little less full bodied. A good smoke all in all but I fear that I will have to accept the fact that the real thing (post 1980) is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.