PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Well there is blood all over the shop floor. Yes it is mine, but the wound isn't as bad as it could have been. I started shaping a Cherrywood out of Cherry wood. A cherrywood is an angled flat bottom bent stem pipe. I love that shape and thought I would have a go. I normally wear a face shield, a respirator and gloves, but I made the mistake of not puttng on my gloves and basically sanded one of my knuckles off. I'm missing all of the skin on my pointer finger right at the knuckle pretty much down to the bone and man it hurts. So I won't be taking any Shain originals to the Chattanooga show, but I've got a great selection of estates restored. I started working on a few more this week but I don't know if I'll get enough functionality out of my left hand to get them done. Oh well. Dang it hurts!

Jan 8, 2013
Sorry to hear that. Being on the knuckle it's going to heal a bit slow and be a lot sore. You never realize how much you bend your fingers until you wound a knuckle. I do hope it heals up soon for you though. Take care of that knuckle.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Glad it wasn't any worse, get well and get carving again in the future. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
wow! I hope you get better soon. I hate shop accidents. they do hurt.
My son was over at my dad's about 3 years ago and my dad ran wood thru a planer without pushsticks and took the end of his thumb off. I told my son to give papa a good dose of crap and so to this day he will make sure my dad has pushsticks for ANYTHING he does in the shop. lol

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
It's ok just hurts a lot, thankfully the respirator kept my neighbors from hearing all the bad words I know. Yeah can't bend it or really move it much at all hopefully it won't hamper my lighting technique this weekend at the slow smoke contest.

blackbeard82

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2013
Well its better that shooting yourself with a pneumatic stapler in the fore arm! ( this happened to me in Afghanistan ) :?

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
Ouch! I'm paranoid about doing stuff like that. Which usually means that I avoid power tools whenever possible. That doesn't always save me though. I almost took the end of my thumb off with a flat head screw driver last fall. The stupid thing is that I'm blessed (read cursed) with a high pain tolerance. My first thought was "Crap!" (read stronger expletive) and the next was "Why doesn't that hurt?" Well, it was sore later.

Hope you mend quickly

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Your own blood is the most expensive finish ever for a pipe, I hope it turns out well and that you recover soon!

blackbeard82

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2013
Well in my years of construction work the worst by far for me was, I was working as a cable T.V. subcontractor. I mounted the plastic cable box to the wall with tap-cons, I forgot to cut the knock out for the drop line from the box ( much easier and safer when not mounted ). Well my dumb ass decided I would save the time from wrenching it off and cut it while it was on the wall. So out comes my razor knife, I press hard, then slip and band! :evil:
Buried the knife in my left wrist, half an inch of razor straight in. Blood everywhere!

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Ouch! Goodness, a good lesson to all of us who may occasionally take shortcuts (I do more than I should when working with tools). Hope you heal up quick and the pain subsides soon.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Im glad your ok. That's priority. But you know as well as I do that you bleed on all your machines. It marks your territory. I have had my new lathe up for only a week and already bled on it. And of course the swing across the ways makes it look like a horror movie. On ceiling, self and across the shop.
I'm glad your alright. And your sander now had been set as yours. But beware, ALL shop machinery has a taste for blood. I know its painful but happily it was just a scrape.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Ouch! Been there buddy, I once got my thumb caught between the sanders table and disc, took off half my thumbnail down to meat. Once it scabs over, keep it moist or that scab will keep splitting open. For now, I would try liquid skin, it got me through some pretty tough scrapes, literally.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.