PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
*POOP is several levels below what I cannot type on a family forum.
I noticed my pipe was bitter and sour and did not flavor as well as my son's pipe. He religiously cleans his before and after each session. I tend to not clean mine after - I guess to build a cake layer.
Anyhoo, I did some reading on how to clean the funk out of a pipe, and tried it out this morning. The first discovery was that 91% iso is great for removing char and black lacquer from the top of the pipe. My second discovery was that I had dribbled iso on the bowl as well....
Now I have a squeeky-clean, non-black lacquer, briar pipe. The briar is not horrible. I think the hole was not symmetrical to the body; and so it became a basket pipe.
The wood is clean, but dull, and ready for finishing. How are briars finished out? Is it a sealer and wax, wax only, what should I do now?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Post pics if you can. Hell, some people prefer an unfinished briar, one with only an oil finish, etc.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Several makers sell pipes without a stain, i.e. bare wood. They gain a nice patina with age and use. I have several. Smoke it!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"The first discovery was that 91% iso is great for removing char and black lacquer from the top of the pipe. My second discovery was that I had dribbled iso on the bowl as well...."
You are not alone in this "discovery" - i.e. you second discovery. I have a Comoy's Blue Riband Pipe and its finish "improves" with usage and age. I agree with rigmedic1, you may want to just roll with it
"The Blue Riband is among the most desired of the classic Comoy's pipes, so it stands to reason that they reserved the name for their best. These traditionally-styled briars are left natural and oil-finished for a soft, matte appearance that allows the grain to stand out."

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I will post up some photos after I tend to the turkey. I may have some birchwood casey oil finish. I also have some high quality coconut oil that I could use. For some reason I remember reading something about using chapstick??

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Chapstick is good for vulcanite stems, but my unfinished pipes get nose oiled.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
It was a black lacquer pipe. I just ended up removing all of it down to the wood. Here are some pics.
20151126_135133_resized_zpsc8ylh5uq.jpg

20151126_135119_resized_zpscvz0rebf.jpg

20151126_135106_resized_zps7vzitle9.jpg

20151126_135055_resized_zpsdbxfr7iw.jpg

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I said bowl; but I meant the entire outside of the pipe.
Before:
20151112_185802_resized_zpsixqoipfu.jpg

After:
20151126_135106_resized_zps7vzitle9.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
You may want to use mineral oil on the bowl if you're not polishing or waxing it with pure carnauba wax. Mineral oil is what is used on wood cutting boards to keep them in shape. It has no odor or toxins so it's safe to use on food prep items.

The truth is, as others have said, you don't really have to do anything to it. I will color naturally over time from the oils in your fingers and from the tobacco. Keeping it clean on the inside is the most important thing. Just enjoy smoking it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think you should get it on a good buffing wheel with a light carnuba. Pop that grain right outta there with a little shine on it. A light wax would be somewhat protective too. I wouldn't bother with more stain, and might even want to try buffing it out some with a polishing compound like white diamond before waxing.

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
Looks like a very nice piece of briar. If I owned it I would sand it some more trying to bring out more of the grain contrast. I'd sand up the scale up to 2000 grit then give it a light finish with a wax, polishing compound, etc. and then let it patina as I smoked and fondled it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
serendipity: ser·en·dip·i·ty (serənˈdipədē)

noun: the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.
Heck, I would rub it out again with iso to remove even more of the dark color, and then wax it with carnauba.

I think you'll find that it smokes even better than before!

Status
Not open for further replies.