PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I smoke on my back patio only. It's getting too chilly to sit out there and relax so it looks like I'll be hanging up my pipes for a few months.
Besides, it will give my poor tongue a rest from all the bite this season from trying to learn how to smoke. :)
It's been a fun first year. I've probably tried 50 different blends. I haven't opened my Christmas Cheer tin yet though. Maybe I'll try to sneak in a garage smoke later this year. :puffy:

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I smoke on the deck only and yeah, it's getting chilly. I'm too addicted stubborn to hang it up for the winter though. Hat, gloves, sweater, coat, steaming hot tea or coffee...it's dedication, or foolishness.
I'm all seriousness though it can be pretty nice on those still winter nights. Minus 12 Celsius is around where I draw the line and forgo a pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How does Kevin relate to temperature? This grasshopper walks into a bar and the bartender right away pops a Grasshopper down in front of him, and....

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
first off...this made me laugh. Secondly, getting close on to enjoy my pipe in the cold will have to do. There are some tobaccos (recent discovery for me) that are so much better when therr is a chill in the air. S.P.S. Breckinridge in a deeper bowl, hot cocoa to compliment optional, ski mask...if its cold enough.

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
I too smoke on my back porch. It is also my favorite spot to read, drink beer and iced coffee but the cold can make it a challenge. I've closed in two sides of my porch and just bought a small electric heater...hoping I can read, smoke and drink the winter through but in Northern NY I'm doubting I can make it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A smoldering pipe, crunching on new snow as you walk, properly dressed of course, a lane or tree lined path can be a great experience as you enjoy a winter wonderland. The dog and I have been known to venture out even with the mercury below zero a bit. My boots have retractable studs if required, the dog wears his booties if necessary, high stepping for the first hundred yards or so, three layers sometimes required but, the clean, clear, brisk air is worth the effort. Don't let Mother Nature force you in-doors, take advantage of what she throws at you. Within reason of course. Pipes aren't just for sitting!
All this unsolicited advice is a waste if you can only enjoy your pipe sitting down, in quiet contemplation. If that's the case, I apologize for wasting your time.
Gotta fight the cabin fever! Seasonal Affective Disorder is what they call it now. One can embrace the cold and still enjoy a pipe.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
If it gets down to the negative teens like it did last year, February's average temp was -18 if I could remember, then hanging around in the garage is a pretty damn cold. That's when you pull the vehicle out and go for a drive! :mrgreen:

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
I'm another guy in the "hang em up" boat. Winter us for huge pots of tea and a long book indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.