Well...... It Is, And Isn't A Barling! Before & After Pics.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Well guys, I worked all night on this damn infernal mess of a pipe! It was pure HELL to clean!

The previous owner evidently had no idea that pipe cleaners even exist! The stem was in BAD shape, and almost impossible to get an alcohol soaked bristled PC through it. Same with the shank, I had to dig a ton of crap out of it before I could even get a shank brush or a PC in it. I also reamed the bowl, and scraped the carbon off the rim.
Keep in mind, I don't have any buffing equipment, so all of this stuff has to be done with elbow grease!

For the outside of the bowl I used alcohol and a stiff bristled toothbrush (which I scrubbed with for 2 hours).

Then I used another toothbrush and water. Then I let the bowl air dry while I worked on the stem. After it dried, I used my usual Extra-virgin olive oil and hand buffing treatment.

Later on, when I get some equipment, I might end up stripping and refinishing it, but for now, this is all im doing.
For the stem, I did my usual as well, it just took longer, lol!

I Mr. Clean Magic Erasered the Hell out of it for about an hour and a half, then I polished over and over with toothpaste. I then hand buffed it with a cloth, then coated with olive oil. After it sat for a while, I buffed it again.
Surprisingly, the weight didn't change much. It was 34-35gr. before, and is 33gr. now.
Anyway, the letters I thought were "ING", turned out to be "INC"!

After all that Scrubbing, it was still tough to make out, but I used my wife's CCTV to look at it under 100x magnification.
What I found was the makings of the words "BLACK PRINCE" and "LONDON MADE", as well as a shape number of "90".

I did some digging, and Black Prince was indeed a Barling sub-brand!

I still don't have a clue as to the time period this pipe is from, but I'm sure it's pretty old!

It seems very well made though, and I can't wait to smoke it once I do the salt/cotton ball treatment on it!
So here's the pics;
Before;

image262-600x277.jpg

image263-600x284.jpg

image264-600x269.jpg

And after; (This thing was a bitch)

image273-600x545.jpg

image274-600x547.jpg

image276-600x505.jpg

image277-600x412.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
What a wild coincidence that it is a Barling sub brand!

You've brought that thing back a long way from its initial grime, but it promises to be a nice smoker.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Thanks Cortez!

I thought it was a funny coincidence myself! I was hoping it was an actual Barling, but I guess I got the next best thing!
At around $40 for the whole lot, I think I did OK.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
You did a great job on it Petes. Looks really good. I believe the elbow grease you put into it was definitely worth it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Thanks a lot guys! It was the toughest one I've done yet, but I think the effort paid off.
@bradley. No man, I haven't smoked it yet. I just took the cotton out of the bowl this evening. I'm gonna let it dry for a couple days before I smoke it, but I'll definitely report back when I do.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Great couple of threads pete, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the smoking report. Anything particular you plan on burning?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Thanks guys!
@simnettpratt. I'm probably gonna start out with some Carter Hall or Burley London, mainly to further exercise any ghosts that might still be hanging around in it. After a few bowls, it'll probably become a flake pipe, mainly Va's.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
wow night and day. what was once dead to the world is now bright and full of new life.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Wow nice job bro.Now smoke that thing like how you worked on it.Hard.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Thanks guys!

I just finished the first bowl in the Bulldog, I went with some Carter Hall.

This pipe is a great little smoker! I like Carter Hall as much as the next guy, but I can't remember when I've enjoyed it any more than I did in this pipe!

A cool, sweet smoke with a nice open draw! Not bad for $5!

Status
Not open for further replies.