PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Hey all,
Well, you know I'm a N00b, but I'm getting more experienced. Got in a great SPC order today, and it included Peterson Irish Flake. I know that this tends to kick butt, so I loaded my Savinelli Professor, which has a smallish bowl, half full at most and began a smoke. Well, I almost did....let me explain.
I took this opportunity to light my pipe for the first time with hemp wick, which I find I really like. But, in concentrating on how to actually use the wick, I sort of forgot myself on the light and with one draw, accidentally partially inhaled some of the smoke. Let me reiterate. I am a N00b to any sort of smoking at all.............
WOW. That really sucked. Sort of felt like my upper lungs were vaporized. Note that this was only a slight, partial inhale, but it REALLY SUCKED. REALLY. SUCKED.
I know you experienced folks are laughing......I'm sure this happens, but, wow. Did I mention WOW?
Anyway, the good news is that I really like the Irish Flake, and I must have a decent tolerance, because I don't feel much of a Nic hit, and I'm not changing my cadence all that much. I think Elizabethan Mixture and/or Nightcap was a bigger N for me...
Anyway, I guess I've passed yet another milestone...yeah, I would have sidestepped that one if I could have.
Cheers!
CW

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've gotten a lungful a couple of times. Never fun. Glad you survived to tell the tale!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah ... not funny, even for us occasional/ex cigarette smokers. I remember the first time I lit a cigar, being used to the cig smoke, I inhaled ... well I can truly say I can relate to your experience. :wink:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
No, it is not fun at all. Inhaling pipe smoke is not pleasant. But it is a learning experience. Interesting that you posted with Irish Flake, I was going to ask you about its strength on you. I found it very strong, much stronger than Nightcap. But, different strokes for different folks and all that.
Glad you survived and still posting!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Nope, not fun at all. Happened to me just the other day for the first time in my life. It was a blustery day and as I was taking a nice, long, slow draw off a bowl of Maltese Falcon, the wind blew just right and apparently right when I was breathing back in after expelling my huge draw...I feel your pain. I mean I had tears welling up in my eyes from the feeling it hit me with when that smoke passed down my throat. After a slight pause, some serious coughing and a few WTF's thrown in for good measure I was back in the saddle.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Yeah, I've had it a couple of times, like ccw's experience. No fun at all. NONE. ZEE-RO. There's a reason cig tobaccos are the way they are. When it happened to me I felt like I was going to upchuck *&* have all the smoke go back out my nose at the same time. Double Yuck. :(:(:(:(
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hope the irritation has passed. If there's any residual sensation, take few days off the pipe. Some people swear by retrohaling, passing the smoke through the nasal passages, but I just like to sip. Moderation works for me.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
When I was a teenager I tried inhaling Condor Flake a few times. It seriously affected me. I have fond memories of Irish Flake but at the time I was smoking it, it was at the very limit of my tolerance. I too find it very strong. In fact, my friend once got so affected by passive smoking it that he had to lie down for a while!

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Hope the irritation has passed. If there's any residual sensation, take few days off the pipe. Some people swear by retrohaling, passing the smoke through the nasal passages, but I just like to sip. Moderation works for me.
A little irritated, nothing bad. Most has passed. I really did like the Irish Flake....just need to pay attention when learning a new lighting technique.
Oh well......:)
CW

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
I've gotten a lungful a couple of times. Never fun. Glad you survived to tell the tale!
Aye, Cap'n, reportin' fer pipe duty as ordered. Hangin' with th' Frigate tonite....
:) :lol:

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Well at least you get more Nicotine!^^ But seriously inhaling pipe smoke is very uncomfortable. I have smoked the occasional cigarette and there is a noticeable difference in how hard it hits you, I would claim. Pipe Smoke has a more rough quality if accidently inhaled so I try to avoid it.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
If the accidental inhale happens while clenching there’s always the delightful side effect of cough propelled embers shooting out of your pipe.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Why inhale at all when we can get so much enjoyment from holding the smoke in the mouth?

Because we like to.

Yes, but cigars and pipes that aren't inhaled allow enjoying the addiction longer, COPD sets in later. Meanwhile, yo0u're happily smoking.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
This happened to me when I started with cigars. Not fun, thought I was gonna cough up a kidney.
Good luck with Irish flake. That one knocked the hell out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.