PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
I can't do something like yard work and smoke a pipe at the same time. Tamper, lighter, too many gadgets to contend with and enjoy the bowlful at the same time. And I tend to huff and puff too furiously while walking around.
For me, it has to be a contemplative activity, as in watching a movie or writing a mystery novel.
What about you?

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Depends on such variables as:
*Manual intensity of the job

*Complexity and/or familiarity of the blend (ie: smoking Carter Hall while doing nearly anything seems to be fine. Smoking something with more subtlety would probably not).

*Whether it's a paid or unpaid break time... lol
:mrgreen:

smokinokie

Lurker
Apr 9, 2013
I have found very few outdoor jobs or activities that make it hard to enjoy a pipe while doing them, I think tobacco and pipe selection have a great deal to do with it.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I pipe all day long. Eight to ten bowls. English & Balkans mainly. I find my most enjoyable moments spent with the pipe are those when I pay no mind to the pipe. The less attention paid to the bowl, why the more enjoyable the smoke. I've been doin this going on thirty years now.

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I enjoy smoking a MM cob with some Carter Hall while doing yard work or gardening.
I don't worry about something happening to the cob and Carter Hall is an easy burning blend, so you just light it up and go about your business. In addition cobs are light, so it's easy to clench them while working.
It's a different experience than sitting and quietly savoring the subleties of your favorite blend, but one I find equally as pleasurable.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
When I'm working with a briar hanging from my teeth I don't worry about a tamper I just use my finger (if it will fit in the bowl) if not I take 5 secs tamp and get back to it. I do find it hard to smoke a pipe when doing some jobs so I just wait until I'm done. I feel I don't need to smoke a pipe and I didn't have one until about 230pm today before starting work. On the weekend when doing yard work or things like that yes, BBQ'ing thats a given lol.

smokeybiker

Lurker
Mar 27, 2013
for the most part I agree with you; Yard work is a no no, but tinkering with my motorbike while smoking my pipe is such a pleasure.. I just have to make sure I'm careful around the fuel lines! 8O

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
In my workshop I like having a pipe for an occasional smoke break while working on some project. Out in the yard and other large tasks I like to wait until the job is done then relax with a pipe and a cold drink or coffee.

bbarnes

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
Mississippi
If I'm going to be moving around a lot I'll usually grab a smallish cigar. When I'm sitting on the front porch contemplating the meaning of life and mysteries of the universe, I grab a pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
After dropping a lit bowl into the engine bay of my MGB, I quit trying to multi-task while smoking a pipe. Reading or using the laptop is the extent of my abilities. But, I have mastered the art of walking around with a lit pipe. We're traveling to New Orleans than to Orlando in the next two weeks to visit both daughters. That means lots of shopping for the girls and I'm outside enjoying my pipe, can't wait.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
I used to try to smoke a pipe while backpacking. No joy there.
Here's one that makes my teeth hurt:
tumblr_log1n0VSiU1qkwvcoo1_500_zpsb249b119.jpg

Edited to add: Of course, Number Six might ride a penny-farthing and smoke a pipe.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Love that photo, JBBaldwin!
But alas, I have no pennyfarthing, nor a proper Panama hat. And I'm in the group that finds it difficult to multitask while smoking, as I'm still learning how (though I do a fair bit of studying while I smoke, weather permitting).

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I smoke my pipes when on the laptop. Fishing, it's an all-cob thing. Driving, I smoke what I call my "car" pipe, not one of my high-enders. And I try not to smoke a pipe when sleeping (apologies to Mr. Twain).

Status
Not open for further replies.