PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Heck and I thought I just had OCD. What is "SFFS" Syndrome, it's "Sucker For Free Shipping" Syndrome. I just can't stand paying for shipping, it just really bothers me. The first thing I do when looking at a site is the shipping cost, what dollar level of the purchase I have to make to get the free shipping. $125.00, $99.00, $95.00, is there reduced shipping cost or a special.
Now a pet peeve is the sites that don't keep contemplated purchases in the cart. You guys know who you are. Lots of lost sales there. A hard to get baccy comes up for sale that I can only get one or two tins of and to beat out the horders, I have to act quick and thus pay the shipping. I am happy to get it but upset that I had to pay shipping which raised my cost and cost you guys some additional sales. Think about how many of us purchase just the amount needed to get the free shipping.
Maybe a free shipping coupon if you are a good customer. I won't use it because I might need it when funds are tight and why waste the coupon on one or two tins, hence more sales. Yes etailers, you are welcome for the advice and you can send my free shipping coupon at your convenience. I promise I won't use it until I really need it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
:rofl: Me too!
My UPS Freeloader badge.

18-2.png

May 4, 2015
I think hitting just the right amount to get free shipping is the only reason I remember to buy pipe cleaners.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Now here I sit at the computer waiting for an alert to show up that the impossibleto get tobacco's are available. I am off this week so I have lots of time to watch, but life goes on. Monday's I teach a class, heck it's only 2 hours I will be gone, Penzance available and I miss it. I sleep in today and Penzance available early, I miss it again. Today my annual retraining certification, it's only 3 hours, Stonehaven missed. A previous week an I always scan the sites at lunch, just a 1/2 hour but who knows. A one day site review I do every three years and not able to look at lunch, Penzance and Stonehaven both missed, yet again. I already know the Golf Gods dislike me, but now the Pipe Gods do also. It's just to much to bear.
I look at the threads, but look Margate and Pembroke are available at a good price. Hmmmm, it is Esoterica, but I already have 2 1/2 pounds of Margate, do I really need it. No, but it is Esotreica, what if they stop making it will I have to search for it like for the others. I put Pembroke and Margate in the cart, darn limited to one of each. But that's only $60.00 and since I have SFFS, I look for other blends I don't have. Nothing on sale so I have to pay retail to get the free shipping. I hate paying retail, what if another site has a sale and I pay to much, just to get more Esoterica that I don't need. But look at the prices, they are only going up, it's an investment I tell myself. By the time I can even smoke it all it's 10 years old and will be worth 3 or 4 times what I paid. See I am looking out for my future, it's an investment so pull the darn trigger. But I'm still thinking do I really need it, they seem easy to get right now.
Time ticks on close to 2:00pm, end of shipping closeout for that day. It's Thursday, I have to jump now but do I want my precious tobacco sitting in a hot warehouse over the weekend. That thought bothers me, I think some more and try to talk myself out of pulling the trigger. Past 2 now so now I will wait for the weekend and have it ship on Monday. I refresh the cart, now the Pembroke's sold out. Now I have to add some more retail cost tins to get the free shipping. No I won't do it. If I can't get what I really want, I don't want anything.
So now I have the itch, I have to buy something, what sales are available, nothing I really need. Then it hits me, Condor and many good reviews so that's what I'll do. But that comes from a foreign land, how much time in transit, will I even get it. Using my CC on a foreign purchase resulted in my purchasing a German car engine and parts for the small sum of $5000.00 and I never received the stuff. That German engine would have looked good in my beat up car. I contest and the CC company sends me proof of my purchase, including copies of the passport, CC both front and back, address, DOB, all of it. It's not me but what the heck, I'll buy $5000.00 of Condor using the other guy's information and have it shipped to the US; fair is fair. He got my engine and I got his Condor, I can live with that. But alas they don't have that much, I feel cheated now, darn you Pipe Gods.
Now it's late afternoon, time has marched on and nothing, no purchases, no alerts, missed chances to get the Esoterica's and no Condor. I now realize that I have found the cure I have long sought. And the cure you ask:
Procrastination, a good thing, maybe the best of things when you have TAD, a Warped Mind and Time.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I no longer have TAD, not that I ever really did. Granted, I'll at times get the urge to grab a tin here and there of some tobacco that I've never tried and being on the lookout for a wee bit of Penzance or possibly Stonehaven, but ONLY if it's at a reasonable price. I recently grabbed a bag of each from Milan Tobcacconists for $36.95 which ain't all too bad at all, and I give them credit for not gouging on the price as some others do. Then again, I imagine that being retired and living on a fixed income does have some advantages in some crazy way as it forces one to use ones head and not make impulsive purchases that you can't afford. But, considering that I only smoke about two bowls a day I have way more than enough tobacco to keep me happy and puffing away for a good long time. :wink:

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I always think of free shipping as getting that last tin for free. And I like free and that's what they want you to think. The reality, a good bulk tobacco can be had at about $2.50 an ounce, tinned tobaccos are less than 2 ounces and average about $10 a tin or more than $5 an ounce. Do the math!!!! Take the total amount of tobacco received and divide that by the cost of that tobacco and compare the result to the ($2.50 X total amount) index number. The delta comes out to a lot more than the shipping. If you must have tined tobacco, you must but the free shipping will cause you to pay a lot more per ounce than you might otherwise. Sorry to rain on the parade.

Status
Not open for further replies.