PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Yes, I came out of the smoking closet. I told my father I started smoking a pipe a couple of weeks ago. He used to smoke cigarettes when I was a kid (to some here I am still a kid at 24) but quit and hasn't looked back since. He understood though and really didn't have much to say. He informed me that he would have to tell my mother which I saw coming. Not soon after I received an e-mail from her saying, "I was disappointed to hear that you are smoking a pipe. That can lead to a bad and expensive habit. I thought you were smarter than that."
Of course she brought out the, "I am not mad, just disappointed," but I was ready! Here was my response:

"Smoking a pipe is not a habit. It is very similar to sipping a fine wine. trying to determine the different ingredients. For example, the sweetness of a Virginia leave, the smokiness of a Latakia or the spice of a Perique. A lot of great minds smoked a pipe from Albert Einstein to J.R.R Tolkein to even Dr. Seuss. A pipe smoker is not like a cigarette smoker who goes outside in the snow to smoke 5 minutes to get his nicotine high. A pipe smoker sets time aside to enjoy it. It is a calming ritual of drying the tobacco, filling the bowl, tamping the tobacco down and then lighting it. To some, the preparation is half the fun. Then you just sit down in a leather chair, read a book or listen to Billy Joel perhaps, all while pondering on the small things. Just enjoying the small happinesses in life. So you tell me my pipe is a habit? I respond with, 'Nay! My pipe is a companion.'"
Her response was along the lines of, "All smokers say the same thing," and "It will be the only joy in life."
So what about you guys? Any similar stories?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
My parents were complete non-smokers. (My mother's father smoked drugstore cigars; my dad's grandfather smoked a pipe. But that was it.) So they weren't happy when I started smoking a pipe in college. But I never got any kind of anti-smoking sermons from them; I knew they didn't quite approve, but it wasn't something we talked about. And I never smoked around them.
Lo and behold, three years later -- after I'd graduated and was living on my own -- my mother got me a pipe rack for Christmas. I remember looking at her in amazement, and she just shrugged. It was typical for my mom. (I also come from a family of teetotalers, and my mom was much more bothered by the fact that I'd started drinking alcohol.)
Bob

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I feel for you kendodan! I've never had to go through that - not easy at your age to tell your folks. But remember that the only reason they are not supportive of your new hobby is because they love you and don't want you to "pollute" your body (even if we pipe smokers have an entirely different take on the subject!)
So if you can recognize that important reason behind their lack of support, then it becomes easier to deal with. If the pipe hobby sticks - then eventually they will come to accept it.
I would also suggest that there's no use in trying to convince them of its many benefits. IMHO, it may create an even stronger resistance. Let the "storm" settle - the less you talk about it, the less they will think about it. Good luck and hang in there!

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
There is so much misinformation out there about nicotine, secondhand smoke, etc. Reading some Pipedia articles on this, as well a episode #37 of the radio show have given me lots of info for discussions.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I remember when I told my parents I was smoking a pipe in my freshman year of college. My Mom said that is was just a phase and will pass. so far, this phase has lasted 44 years.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Well she's right about one thing; It can get expensive especially if you find yourself becoming a pipe collector and also indulging in the sub-hobby of stocking a tobacco cellar! :)
Honesty is the best policy so I think you did good there. Numbersix also gives good advice. I'll just add try not to smoke around them and emphasize other things you are doing to maintain a healthy body and mind when talking to your parents.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Tell her it's an alternative to beating off. "You wouldn't want me to go blind, would you?!"
I’m polishing my pipe stem as I read this. :wink:
Times have really changed. I told my parents that I was smoking cigarettes when I was 16, but back in the early 60’s it was a much more accepted practice. Now if I light up a cigarette in public I feel like a pariah. At least you’ve taken a much safer alternative to using tobacco, and also a much more relaxing one.

frankenstein

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2013
I got my first pipe as a Christmas gift from my mother. Everytime I visit her she asks me to light a pipe because she thinks it smells wonderful.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Becoming an adult often means making different decisions in life than our parents made. Every person must be who they are and want to be. As a man, I came to realize this far too late in life. I tried to live my life to please my parents and therefore didn't know who I am until I was about 40. I vowed to allow my own children to make their own decisions and choices after they turned 18 without voicing my opinions unless asked... Even when they ask, which is often, I remind them that my opinions are just that - opinions. If they chose to not follow my advice/opinions I don't worry about it... Their opinions and choices are just as valuable as mine and I respect them and their choices.
Best of luck to you as you find your way as an adult in this world.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Yep, I had the same awkward moment with my folks a few months ago Actually I only told my mother. Her first reaction was one of bemusement, then concern, before reaching (quite literally) for the wooden spoon. But she did concede that I'm an adult now (technically) and can make my own decisions (technically). Some time later she told me that she'd told my father, but in true patriarchal fashion it's never been mentioned by either of us.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Sadly, I gave up on telling my parents about anything important to me a long time ago. My father died quite a while back, so it's a little hard to communicate with him - but not much worse than it was when he was alive. My mom has an unfortunate tendency to forget that I graduated from high school 30 years ago, and that an awful lot of her advice about life, work, etc. is about 30 years out of date as well.
So, yeah - my pipe smoking is a hobby that she knows nothing about, along with my interest in Steampunk, my new job, my desire to be an author, my homebrewing, and my current weight loss regimen (which is actually working this year). It's just not worth hearing the same lectures I've been getting for 40-odd years, or setting myself up for the possibility of some parental approval over something minor, only to be told that my interest is "stupid".

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
+1 Cortez!
When I told my parents, they were more curious about the differences between the pipe and cigs. I was suprised with their response since my grandmother smoked all her life and died from a combination of lung and breast cancer. It was her third bout with breast cancer that spread to her lungs. Her doctor told us that if she given up smoking much eariler in life (in her 40s vs 60s) or not smoked at all, it would have been unlikely to spread to her lungs (which had already showed signes of cancer) and she may have survived.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Thanks for all the advice guys. My mother has always been a bit close minded about things so it's nothing really new. When I started doing Kendo she told me it was stupid and I should just quit. Luckily, I didn't listen to her so now here I am in Japan doing what I love. (also out of reach of any wooden spoons :nana: ) But I have always felt like I have to be honest with my parents, even if it not something they want to hear, just out of respect. I will keep smoking my pipe as I always do.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
My mother has always been a bit close minded about things so it's nothing really new. When I started doing Kendo she told me it was stupid and I should just quit.
Ouch! Glad to know that you're marching to the tune of your own drummer. It's those of us who challenge social norms that get the most out of life.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Kendodan, it's pretty understandable your mom didn't want you smoking, especially being a non smoker herself. My folks weren't too thrilled about me smoking when I was 18 after I joined the Navy. My dad's father died of lung cancer when I was 7, so the lack of support hasn't been surprising. He was a cigarette smoker, though he did smoke a pipe from time to time.
My dad said smoking a pipe was natural for me "cuz you like to put things in your mouth." My dad and I have a strange relationship full of homosexual jokes that only got worse after joining the navy. Comes with the territory. Lol.
Keep puffin', man.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Great response Cortez. LOL
My parents never smoked and I didn't smoke when I was younger other than a cigar here or there on special occasions. It wasn't until I was 33 that I started enjoying cigars on a regular basis, and a pipe a year later. My wife can't stand the hobby, but my parents don't say much. They'll occasionally make the comment of "you need to stop smoking those stupid cigars," etc. but they understand I'm an adult and am capable of making my own decisions. Plus I've explained to them the difference between cigarettes vs. pipes/cigars. In addition to that one of my mom's best friends is a cigarette smoker and she has on several occasions has backed my view in front of them. She'll admit straight up that cigarettes will kill her, but that my cigars or pipes are not the same.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
My mom is 89 and an ex cigarette smoker. When she saw me with a pipe the first time, she was annoyed and said, ". . . and you bitched about my smoking!"
At that point there was no reason to try and explain, I just don't have a pipe around her, and at her age, she's probably forgotten the whole thing.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
When will people learn that the more they complain or show dissatisfaction about something, the more a person is inclined to partake?
Sorry to hear about the response but I suppose it's not entirely unexpected in this PC climate. Most information shared with the public is based on heavy cigarette use, and all tobacco products = cigarettes in most people's mind. Make not mistake, you are taking a risk of lung, esophageal, tongue, throat, and jaw cancer among others. That being said, my next door neighbor died of lung cancer and she never smoked a thing in her life, never worked in a factory around chemicals or asbestos. Grew up on a farm during the depression and lived most her life eating from her farm or garden. Had she been a smoker that would have been another smoking static, but I share her story to illustrate the point that a large percentage of people that "get cancer from smoking" are genetically predisposed. It is possible, even likely, they would have developed the condition no matter what. How many, we don't know. I don't say that to rationalize my smoking, it's just the facts. You can't have conversations like that with non-smokers because they'll dismiss your points as you trying to rationalize and justify your "addiction". I worked in a cancer research setting for years and all the PhD's said if a heart attack or car accident doesn't kill you, some form of cancer will. I work in sales now around Dr.'s, especially cancer doctors, and it would surprise you how many smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.