PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Forget the score. I have played and watched soccer since I could walk - almost 50 years - and I have never seen a performance like that. Incredible determination and desire and so exciting to watch. You put the 'established' football world to shame - we need you. Absolutely f'n fantastic!
Andy

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
It would have been more but for the US goalie's awesome saves. That was fun to watch. Sorry, Yanks :(

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Don't matter how good bad or indifferent they played. They lost. The only prize for loosing is go home and work your arse off till you can win.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I'm sorry, can somebody remind me what soccer is again?
It's the worlds most popular sport.
And the US had a damn fine showing. Though they never really had a chance to win it all but they played their hearts off. Nice run fellas.

Dec 24, 2012
It's the worlds most popular sport.
I had read that somewhere. I had always analogized it to the fact that most people in the world urinate in a field and shit in a ditch, which is fine, but I prefer the far less popular indoor plumbing.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
It was a good, albeit one sided, match until the end when Belgium broke one off on the US. Was really hoping for a miracle until that second goal.
Howard played out of his mind though and also got plenty of help from the crossbar. The US won't be a legitimate threat until they can match international teams in ball handling and offensive zone play. It drives me nuts every four years watching the Americans spend most of the game on defense.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Surprisingly, there seem to be many US premier and varsity soccer coaches who prefer a defensive stance. Luckily my son's premier coach believed in a strong offense. It payed off year after year. Different strokes, I suppose...

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Lol. I just got a message from this site that said I need to produce some content in my posts! Well crap. I guess I'm full of malarky! :lol:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Strong defense is very good to have and showed well with how long Howard and the defense could keep their opponents from netting a goal. But they coughed up the ball frequently and were bounced from being on the attack pretty easily by everyone they played.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
So...the favorite's still Brazil? Followed by Germany and maybe Argentina? Do my Brits still have a chance now they've been eliminated?

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Football? I thought that was a game invented in the South? Go Vols!
I did watch the U.S. against that bunch from Belgium. Howard the American goalie was just magnificent. The U.S. lads just didn't have enough fire power.
Now, what they need are some real beefy guys up front and some very fast fellows in the backfield.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Yep, I agree and the USA team can progress home now, and practice until they can win. But next year they will not make it to the world cup matches.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Necron99 there are many points I could make, but I will limit myself to agreeing with you that, indeed, the USA will not make it to any World Cup matches next year. The FIFA World Cup finals are played every four years, so the opportunity to play again will not come until Russia in 2018. But I'm sure the USA will be there; Jurgen Klinsman has proved an inspiration and they should now have the encouragement to really progres in key areas. Hopefully they will not 'loose' too much on the way.
Andy

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Shows what I know about soccer.
That every four year thing for the championship matches could be why it has never really taken off here in America. I imagine there are lots of folks who only watch play offs and such. The rest of the time the sports guys on the radio is good enough.
So ya reckon we will be in the running next time?

Status
Not open for further replies.