PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
This sucks. Guess I'll be sending it back to Mr. Wiley for repairs.
ggTU3kU.jpg

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
The only consolation is that it's fixable and if you send it to the right guy it comes back smoking even better.
Just now chatting with Randy Wiley and it will be fixed in the new year. I can only imagine how busy he would be right now with commissions for Christmas.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's the weak spot on push bit pipes. A Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog of mine got dropped and now it won't pass a pipe cleaner. I hope it's just knocked out of alignment. So far it's all one piece. I didn't drop it, so that's the good part. When it's just household mishap, I don't feel as bad.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
You could try stick a screw in carefully and pull the broken tenon out, then superglue back together.
Categorically do NOT attempt either of these things on a pipe you care about. I get sent dozens of "rescue cases" a year because of them.
First the screw business: A fastening screw's tapered shape and non-cutting threads will apply massive outward pressure on the tenon, often cracking it. The right tool is a properly-sized tap (they are cylindrical and have threads designed to cut). Then, pulling the tenon out without applying sideways torque to the shank---100% of the force must be axial---requires a slide hammer and a shank support plate. If you don't own or have access to such tools, don't mess with improvised broken tenon removal unless you are willing to accept a significant risk of damaging---or even losing---that particular pipe. Cracked and exploded shanks have no rewind button.
As for superglue, it is designed to wick into voids (like WD-40) and doesn't care if it's the one you intended or not. And even when properly applied, it won't hold indefinitely, resulting in the bowl simply falling off without warning sooner or later. On carpet at home, probably no big deal. On textured concrete or while on the freeway at rush hour, not so much.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How odd! Me, that is: I had a dream/nightmare about breaking a nice pipe last night. But it broke at the shank, so way worse than a tenon bust.

4etecjonathan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2015
The ORIGINAL!! Crazy Glue is a lifesaver. It has worked for me on a Peterson pipe with no after taste it has been a solid fix for me.
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.