PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Just a crazy little thing I noticed on P&C while ordering more Mac Baren Virginia No.1. It would seem that they list the 3.5 oz. tin and the bulk as being an Aromatic, whereas they list the 9 oz.tin as being a Non- Aromatic. Even the description for both is exactly the same:
“Mac Baren Virginia #1 has been a standard among Danish aromatic pipe blends for decades. Ripe and sweet Virginias are flavored with a signature top dressing and pressed, sliced and fully rubbed out to develop a great flavor and amazing aroma.”
Either way, it’s obviously an aromatic as it has a topping (Honey, Spices, Sugar?), albeit not heavily cased, and the only ‘aromatic' that I find pleasurable.

Hmmm, retailers generally just list things willy nilly. But, the MacBaren site doesn't mention anything of the sort, actually mentioning the "natural" Virginia taste. But, it could be topped, maybe. But, if it is an aromatic, most of the VA flakes would fit the aromatic category. I love, and I have no issues with aromatics. I would just think someone getting a hold of Virginia #1 thinking that they were getting an aromatic would be disappointed, ha ha.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
If you read Mr. Pease's article on tobacco blending, he states that almost no tobacco makes it to smoking state without some kind of additive. He further states that if it did, you probably wouldn't like the taste. #1 is not an aro in my book at all and what casing it does have is as light as can be.
"G.L. Pease Answers: In fact, very few tobaccos on the market today are not cased to some extent. Casing is the process of adding sugars and flavouring agents before the leaf is further processed. The raw leaf is soaked or sprayed with a heavy solution of sugars and flavourings like liquorice, vanilla, molasses, tonquin, and so on. The amount of sauce absorbed by the leaf depends on the method of application, the structure of the leaf, and the length of time the leaf is in contact with the sauce before further processing. The leaf is then processed as usual. It can be conditioned and cut, or pressed and held to allow further fermentation. It can be heated, steamed, toasted, or just allowed to “bulk” in the atmosphere.

Raw tobacco, especially burley, usually doesn't taste very good, and can have poor smoking characteristics. Very few smokers have ever experienced tobaccos that do not have SOME sort of casing applied. It's not the casing that turns smokers of “pure” tobacco off; it's the excessive use of flavourings. When used delicately, they can enhance the flavour of the tobacco itself. When used heavily, as in most American style aromatic tobaccos, they can overpower the underlying tobacco flavours." Pipedia

Cased, yes, but the quote above states that it is top dressed, which is different and makes it "technically" an aromatic. But then my question to P&C would be why are they the only ones who seem to have knowledge that it is dressed? Or, is the person who listed this not aware of the differences?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I would say, to my tastes, that Va #1 is cased with a slighty sweet honey concoction but no toppings.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I would say, to my tastes, that Va #1 is cased with a slighty sweet honey concoction but no toppings.
That would then raise the question: What is the difference between 'cased' and 'topping', if there is indeed a difference? Forgive my ignorance, but I simply thought they were both the same thing, but just different applied terms.
According to the description, for what its worth, given on Tobacco Reviews it is: Flavored with - Honey, Spices, Sweet / Sugar. Then again, we have the other term of 'Flavored" (cased, topping, flavored?). Just what the hell is the difference in these terms, if any?

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Every pipe tobacco, virtually every tobacco really, has been cured, aged, heated, cased with plain or flavored sugared water, stoved, pressed, steamed, topped, rested, cut, and processed for packaging. Call it preparation or processing our weed goes through a lot before it gets to us, even in the rare event that a particular blend has not actually been topped. I'd say that a safe description of an aromatic is a blend that is dominated by non-tobacco aromas when sniffed in the tin. Whether these aromas persist during the smoking of the blend (to the smoker) is another, and widely variable, matter entirely.

Growing up in a family that grew, harvested, dried, and cured tobaccos for several generations, I can say that if you tried to smoke dried Virginia leaf without a casing at all, you wouldn't enjoy it. It burns instead of smolders, like cardboard or shredded paper. Russ O has come on the forums and said that some but few tobaccos are free of casings, but I wonder which ones. In my experience some sort of calorie has to be added to slow the burn. Now, topping is where a flavor is sprayed or dipped onto the leaf to give it a flavoring. Most of our goopy aros are done in this way. Obviously, the guy who typed in the description just wasn't familiar with this product at all. Or, copied it from something that was written by someone who didn't know either.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Phil, casing is done in the initial production of the leaf, topping is added by the blender. Or at least that is my understanding.
but I wonder which ones

I believe Samois has zero additives but I don't know about others.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
The "aromatic" designation seems in need of expansion. There are a number of "degrees" of aromatic, from cased Virginias to American English blends, to Danish aromatics all the way to American style aromatics. Then there are blends like the GLP "aromatics": Haddo's Delight or Barbary Coast, for example.
All of these are very different styles of blends.
IMO it comes down to flavor vs aroma: which is the dominant feature of the blend?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That would then raise the question: What is the difference between 'cased' and 'topping'
To quote Russ O. on this one:
"Casings are mostly used to lessen the negative qualities of a tobacco. If a Burley has a high pH which can lead to tongue bite, a casing (with or without a flavor) containing some sugar will help to bring the smoke back toward the acidic side, and will reduce the chance of bite. Some Virginias can be harsh or ashy, but with the right casing, that can be mitigated as well. Mostly, though, casings are not used to flavor the tobacco as much as to prepare it for other processing, much as a mild marinade is used to prepare meat for cooking and to tenderize it more than to flavor it."
"Top dressings are flavorings that are applied at the end of manufacturing (most of the time), and are responsible for most of the pouch aroma and room note of an aromatic pipe tobacco along with the signature flavor of the blend. Top dressings are usually alcohol-based, and a quick examination of the method shows why. When the casing (water-based) is applied, the drying process will bring the tobacco back down to where it belongs, humidity-wise. But at the end of the process, the maker doesn’t want to use heat to finish the job, so by using an alcohol-based flavoring and allowing the tobacco to sit for a day or two, the carrier (the alcohol) will dissipate, or “flash off”, leaving the concentrated flavor behind with little additional moisture"
See whole article here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/a-tale-of-two-syrups-casings-and-top-dressings/

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Technically almost every blend is an aromatic as they all have some type of casing. Now anyone who smokes a really loaded aro like Molce Dolce are totally light in the loafers, not that there is anything wrong with that.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
There is definitely tobacco out there that has been "cased" with nothing more than misted water. Some very simple examples would be American Spirit Cigarettes and pretty much every 'real' hand rolled Cuban Cigar.
I have to assume just because a tobacco is cased, it does not mean it has to be some type of syrup. After color curing raw tobacco, the next step is fermentation to expel the ammonia and other naturally occurring chemicals hidden within the leaf. During this fermentation process, the leaf needs to be pliable so it does not crumble while being handled. The simplest way to do this would be to mist the leaf with water. Would this not technically be considered casing the tobacco?
@Cosmic, when you say you smoked dried Virginia leaf without casing, and did not enjoy it, was that before it was fermented or after?

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
It seems the term "casing" has long been misused when describing tobaccos. As mentioned above, most tobaccos have something added to them to achieve a certain flavor profile. Having had the chance to smoke some "natural" untreated tobacco a time or two, the experience is very different from the blends most of us enjoy.
What I find interesting are the differences in the aromatics out there. Most people think of aromatic blends as your goopy sweet blends and they carry a reputation as being such. On the other hand, Lakeland style blends are very aromatic the with the essences used to produce them however they smoke much drier and cleanly.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
I do not consider Virginia No. 1 to be what we would consider an "aromatic". All tobaccos are treated with some sort of top dressing. The last I checked, the MacBaren website lists and describes Virginia No. 1 is a straight / pure Virginia treated with sugar water.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
Also....i don't understand where tobacco reviews.com gets their descriptions. They certainly didn't get their description of Virginia no. 1 from MacBaren...and I personally trust the producers description as they would certainly know better than the vendors.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Lol ... we love to get really technical around here.
I've always appreciated this community's ability to dissect and analyze all the

various mysteries that surround our hobby.
If I were to explain the difference to, say, a non-piper friend I would simply

state that an aromatic is one that has an overall non-tobacco smell and flavor.

Molto Dolce would be a prime example of a "tobacco" that smells and tastes nothing like tobacco.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I've always appreciated this community's ability to dissect and analyze all the

various mysteries that surround our hobby.
LoL. Pipe forums: a solution in search of a problem ;)
God help us and our various T/PADs......
No nit is too small to pick! :)

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
But yet... informative. After all, that is what a forum site is all about is it not? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.