PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1j3l

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
So, yesterday was a very interesting day. It was a beautiful May morning, the neighborhood is freshly mowed, the park down the street looked warm and inviting, everyone on the street seemed friendly and smiling. I wanted nothing to do with it.
Why, you ask? Because a kind friend, 4nogginsmike, had just delivered a bomb at my front door. And it was the fatman of bombs, let me tell you. I was so excited; my plans for the day had just changed radically. I snatched up the big box of joy, shut the door, and ran back upstairs, sporting the biggest grin since Christmas 1998. It was May the Fourth. My pipes were all freshly clean. MY FIANCE LETS ME SMOKE INSIDE. It was both my duty and my extreme pleasure to pull down the window blinds, turn off the lights, and sample everything in the box. Following, for those who are interested, is my personal opinion of each tobacco mike gifted me.
-GH Dark Flake

I started with the biggest bag first, because I have no self control. This tobacco is fantastically strong, flaked (which makes for an easy prep), and gives off a nice thick smoke. Something about the cured Indian leaf of this blend reminds me of a good cigar. Maybe not an all day every day blend, but great for a big bowl and a big self reward.
-Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Now, this is a burly tobacco. It comes out smelling like dark chocolate, or raisins. Yet somehow has a bit of an earthy taste that is not at all unpleasant. It was rather satisfying, but I feel it would have really shined as an outdoor smoke. The scent was one you could still enjoy in a breeze, and I fully intend to take it with me on my next walk around town.
-JackKnife Plug by GL Pease

I've gotta say, this is a tough one to write about. I still don't know what I was tasting, as every pull seemed to have a new flavor, and every flavor seemed confused about what it wanted to be. It was awesome. It almost tasted like beefstock at times, with it's rich body and subtle hints at spice that may or may not have really been there. Every now and then I'd get a small burst of sweet smoke, which was appreciated every time. It was like a gourmet meal with a small patina of sugar, breaking up the flavor once in a while, and giving your tongue a nice surprise. One of the most pleasant tasting heavy tobaccos I've had, and one I'd highly recommend to any of you who haven't tried it.
-Condor

Wow. If I had to try and compare it, the closest I could come would be Sutliff's Blue Note. However, I wouldn't want to compare it, as even that barely fits. This tobacco had a heavy, almost flowered taste about it. I want to say it was soapy, but that seems wrong. Soapy sounds like a foul thing for a tobacco to be, and foul this was NOT. I loved this tobacco, and plan on leaving the pipe I smoked it in dedicated to it. I want to see if that floral taste can soak in and intensify, and I certainly am looking forward to testing that.
-SG 1792

Oh tonquin. This is another "manly" flake, one that asks you kindly to have a seat, because it has some things to discuss. The flavor of the tonquin, to my tongue at least, is very subtle. But the smell. Oh god the smell. Every time I smell this tobacco, it makes me nostalgic. My father and I used to go for long camping trips every April. It had always just rained before we arrived, and as a kid, the scent of the forest after a good rain became synonymous with relaxation and a happy demeanor. This tobacco, while burning, puts me right back in that mindset. It's hard to not break the seal just to smell the tobacco whenever I pass my desk.
-Tins STG's Escudo and Dunhill's Royal Yacht were also in the box, but I didn't have the heart to crack them open just yet. I've heard great things about both, and in this sealed state, I'd like to let them stew until I have a moment worthy of opening them up. But, when I do, I'll be sure to give my opinion.
(Note: Smoking all of these in one sitting was very intense. I recommend you have liquids nearby, and a sturdy place to leave your comatose body afterwards!)
Honestly, this was a huge surprise, and one I'll never stop being thankful for. I find myself giddy with excitement every time I look at my desk and see these, and was only able to resist picking up my pipe for all of thirty minutes this morning. To 4nogginsmike, and really to anyone who's ever done something kind for a beginner: Thank you. No vague words about the good deeds of good people, or how pipers are a step above the rest, just Thank you. You are fantastic, and what you've done has touched me deeply.
(For those of you who came here expecting a different kind of review, here you go: The remasters of Star Wars are terrible, and I highly recommend downloading the unedited originals. If you're a fellow sci-fi buff, they will almost be rage inducing.)
tl;dr: I love tobacco. Han shot first.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Enjoyed the reviews and opinions. Man, your tongue must have been one big raw thing afterwards. If I did that I wouldn't be able to smoke again for at least a week or two

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Nice short reviews, that is the way I like them! I'm glad you enjoyed them, those are a regular in my staple.

Except for Condor, I have yet to try this mystery blend. Only if I can find we to order without paying out the ass for it.

spartanfan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2013
Nothing quite like finding a delivery on the doorstep to quickly change the plans of your day.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Excellent post! I grinned from ear to ear the whole time I was reading it. Enjoy your new bounty. :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
so....she let's you smoke inside? It's a test. If she wants that ring bad enough, your grade can wait.

k1j3l

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
We've been engaged for a year or so, newbroom, but I can understand the wary approach. XD I've realized since coming here that my situation of having a non-pipe smoking other half that still lets me smoke inside is an extremely rare one. I think so too, papipe! My hope is that by this time next year I'll be financially stable again. If I am, then I plan to pick out a random newbie from the site and send them a care package of my own, and I'll just pretend they went on a May the Fourth movie binge while smoking it.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
That's a fantastic sampler. Most of those 7 tobaccos would be in my Top 10. While none of them are weak, the quarter-bowl is a smart approach to the 1792 else you'll be counting the clouds/stars.
There is no comparing Condor. It is what it is. (Wonderful, is what it is). On second thought, maybe you could compare it to aftershave.

Status
Not open for further replies.