Weird, there is a blister on my new pipe

(29 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by thatbeetleguy
  • Latest reply from didimauw
  1. thatbeetleguy

thatbeetleguy

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone!

I recently got a new churchwarden and started to break it in. On my third bowl it started having a "blister" on it and it didn't go away when I tried to press on it with my tamper. I am uncertain if this is a "fill" or not. Here is the picture of the blister: ">
    If you guys know what it is or how to deal with it, I'll greatly appreciate it.

“The fact is, Squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It’s the poor man’s friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth.”
    -Sam Slick, The Clockmaker
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How's the bowl look on the inside? Hope it is not caused by a "hot spot" that may burn out

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A flaw in the briar or a flaw in the finish. Depending on how much you have in the pipe, you
    could just smoke it and see what happens, or if it is a considerable investment, you might want
    to talk to the seller or have a pipe repairman look at it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. hfearly

hfearly

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Had one happen on my 400$ Peterson - looked exactly like the one in your picture. The Peterson Rep who exchanged the pipe told me it was the finish bubbling up caused by extreme heat - most probably a weak spot / inclusion or hole in the briar at that point inside the wood. Peterson exchanged the pipe immediately no questions asked.

Suffering from a serious case of "EPARD", also known as the Estate Pipe Acquisition and Restoration Disorder.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Could be Herpes, or cancer.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. thatbeetleguy

thatbeetleguy

Login to Send PM

How's the bowl look on the inside? Hope it is not caused by a "hot spot" that may burn out

I took a look inside the bowl and saw nothing suspicious in it.

A flaw in the briar or a flaw in the finish. Depending on how much you have in the pipe, you
    could just smoke it and see what happens, or if it is a considerable investment, you might want
    to talk to the seller or have a pipe repairman look at it.

Since the pipe costed me $42, it is no doubt a flaw of some sort then. I'll try and see what happens. If it becomes worse, I'll go to the store I bought it from.

Had one happen on my 400$ Peterson - looked exactly like the one in your picture. The Peterson Rep who exchanged the pipe told me it was the finish bubbling up caused by extreme heat - most probably a weak spot / inclusion or hole in the briar at that point inside the wood. Peterson exchanged the pipe immediately no questions asked.

Thinking about it, yeah the pipe was pretty hot when it happened. Perhaps I should warrant more caution when I am trying break it in.

Thank you guys for your responses

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. skapunk1

skapunk1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Happened to my first pipe, a cheap Medico.....just poor finish and smoking too hot.

Warren
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. hodirty

hodirty

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first pipe also had this similar blister. So have a few other cheaper of my pipes. That will happen if a pipe is smoked too hot. I would try a cooler smoking tobacco, and feel the bowl regularly throughout the smoke. If it gets too hot, it could be a packing or sipping error. That being said, it could just as easily be a briar issue. But, you can control how it is smoked not what it is made of. Let us know how it turns out for you.

I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new.
    Robert W. Service
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. bluesmk

bluesmk

Login to Send PM

"Could be Herpes, or cancer."
    Dan, you ain't right

Dan
    Gabrieli Pipes

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've seen that before and it was a cheap pipe--I had bought one that had a lacquer coating. I got what I paid for.

Eric
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Since the long stem of a Churchwarden cools the smoke stream so effectively,
    that type of pipe is especially susceptible to unnoticed overheating.

That might be your fault, but as hfearly pointed out, an inclusion within the
    wood may have conducted heat to the surface, where the lacquer blistered.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. hfearly

hfearly

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As mentioned earlier, does also happen to more expensive pipes Unless you X-Ray the bowl (something that Kaywoodie used to do in the 70s) it's really hard to figure out inclusions within a bowl that otherwise looks perfect.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't remember the exact year or the brand, but at the KC Show Slow Smoking Contest (maybe 2006?), we all received pipes for the contest that blistered like that during smoking. I was told it had something to do with the outer bowl coating being applied without finishing it out properly with buffing and polishing. Not sure if that is what is happening with your pipe but since you bought it new and all of the pipes in the contest were brand new, that is a possibility.

Best,

Pipestud

Pipestud
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. brudnod

Spencer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I refinish bamboo fly rods (in addition to pipes) and use varnish for the process. Although bamboo does not have to put up with the heat of a pipe, it does have to tolerate UV sunlight and motion (preferably a lovely trout on the fly line bending the rod as it is brought into the net). Anything on the surface of the bamboo, particularly petroleum contaminants can harm the contact of varnish with the bamboo underneath resulting in bubbling up or cracking. I am guessing that the same can happen in the pipe making industry, perhaps more so when the price point is low. One can not help but be surprised that with a biological system like a tree root we do not see hot spots more often with bubbling from that. The remedy depends on how much you want that particular pipe to look good in addition to being a good smoker.
    Spencer

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Worse case of Pipe Leprosy I have ever seen.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Luckily, Peck runs a Pipe Leper Colony. Just box it up and send it to him.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Send it back??

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. rockymtnsmoker

rockymtnsmoker

Login to Send PM

Peck , wondering if your personal leprosy issues and this pipe leprosy issue are connected. I recall you tragically lost a testicle to leprosy recently. Is it possible for leprosy to travel from human to pipe, or visa versa? I think I'll be giving my estate purchases an even deeper cleaning from now on.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. thatbeetleguy

thatbeetleguy

Login to Send PM

Figured I'll give an update on my "Pipe Leprosy" issue:
    After a while making this thread half of the lacquer blister broke off while I made another attempt to flatten it, leaving a gap on the finish
    Not sure how to deal with that... but everything on the pipe is good otherwise.

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. rockford

rockford

Login to Send PM

Sand it all off and enjoy your unfinished pipe

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

filippuneddu

Login to Send PM

Just today I smoked my first 1/4 bowl of McClelland Dark English 5110 in a brand new Peterson Around the World Ireland pipe. Beatutiful pipe and smoked well for the first time. But when I cleaned it I noticed the shellac/varnish had bubbled. I received the pipe less than three months ago from a dealer. Will Peterson replace it ? I don't know how to attach the photo of the bubble.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

While the bowl is warm during smoking, you can often rub the bubbles down with a soft cloth.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Had this happen on two Falcon bowls (black finish) and one basket pipe.
    I had a very small spot occure on a nice small pipe from a reputable company.
    Never had burn through and on all examples it seams the finish bubbled. The Falcon bowls were replaced by Falcon UK, I was aloud to keep the old bowls.
    The small spot on my pipe from a reputable company I did not contact as I had the pipe over 12 months and it's rusticated so not very noticeable.

A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise ☪️
    OLDMANSMOKING
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just today I smoked my first 1/4 bowl of McClelland Dark English 5110 in a brand new Peterson Around the World Ireland pipe. Beatutiful pipe and smoked well for the first time. But when I cleaned it I noticed the shellac/varnish had bubbled. I received the pipe less than three months ago from a dealer. Will Peterson replace it ? I don't know how to attach the photo of the bubble.

Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had this problem once and solved it by pricking it with a fine needle then pressing it flat.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

My Rossi Napoli apple had the finish start bubbling off during its first couple smokes. It's starting to chip away now. I'll eventually sand it off and refinish it.

I refuse to eat vegetables, but I'll smoke out of one.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With a $42 pipe (an inexpensive pipe but not a freebie afterall) I'd just go ahead and smoke it, using the remedies mentioned in several posts as needed. I think it may just be the finish, and the pipe may smoke fine. If you want to sand it and refinish, you could, but there may be no need. A cosmetic question. If the pipe burns out, it's a learning thing. See what happens. I think you'll still be smoking this in years to come.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wouldn't varnish remover be over all better than sanding? (Yes, messy, but leaves the briar unscratched.)

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yes, I thought about using acetone as well. Might be easier after all.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   methomp, pitchfork