PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
This could also fit into the pipe tobacco forum, but since it's not about a single tobacco, I decided to put it here.
A couple of months ago, I developed a major ear infection that got into my bloodstream. It completely messed up my sense of taste, and between that and the heavy nausea that went with it, I lost 20 pounds in two months. Neither food nor tobacco tasted right or pleasant at all, and I spent the whole time smoking my non-aromatic bulk bargain tobaccos because none of my favorite aromatics or English tobaccos tasted good to me at all.
This stupid bug has been extremely resistant to antibiotics, but I'm finally pretty much on the mend. My appetite is just about back to normal, and I've stopped losing weight.
But the weird part is that now my sense of taste has changed enough that I'm getting much different experiences from my pipe tobaccos. Some that I used to like (eg., Carter Hall and Prince Albert) aren't pleasant to me at all any more. Others, like my vanilla and liquor-flavored tobaccos, are rather overpowering and too rich-flavored now, and I have to mix them with non-aromatics to enjoy them.
I have a fairly large collection of tobaccos (just over 110 different smokes), so it looks like I'm going to have a lot of new smoking experiences ahead in the upcoming weeks/months as I start smoking all of them again.
I can tell that my taste for foods is still messed up a bit, so I'm guessing that my taste for tobaccos *should* eventually return back to where it was before the ear infection, but I really don't know at this point.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've got a feeling that your extended hiatus from smoking had the effect of resetting your taste buds and whatever olfactory physiology is responsible for tasting flavors. I'm pretty sure everything will gradually return to normal, so don't do anything drastic with your cellar until things settle down a bit. That has to be a disconcerting experience though. On the bright side, you lost 20 lbs.! :clap:

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Awesome///you get to experience everything again for the first time again...get well.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
if you are still on meds; i assume you are, know that some medicines will alter your taste considerably, in addition to causing oral sensitivity to some tobaccos--
get over the infection, get away from the medicines, give it some time and your taste will likely return to what was once your norm--note that it may take some while, so don't get impatient and sell off your cellar too quickly--

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yup mate, taste buds do change over time. Things we liked yrs ago are not on our #1 list as we get older. Turn about is fair play though because now we can enjoy what we couldn't before. If there is a benifit from illness, I guess this may be one. Enjoy the new experiences mate.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I've always found that if I take an extended break from something, like I did with pipes over the last few years up until recently, the experience changes dramatically. You find yourself liking things you never liked before. In your case, with your sense of taste being thrown out of whack, I'm sure it's no different.
On the bright side, you get to try different things and enjoy them as if they were new experiences. And you lost 20 lbs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.