Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Weird Flake

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So the other day I was at my B&M and they gave me a sample of some bulk flake they had, but the weird thing about it was that it was not like the flake I'm use to seeing. It's like little strips of flake with shreds of ribbon cut tobacco, sorry for not being more specific, but how would I go about smoking that since it's not long enough to be cube cut, so should I just rub it or what would be the best idea for it.
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It sounds like a broken flake. If the pieces are large enough, you can rub them out or cube cut them and mix in with the shreds. McClelland's broken flakes, like the bulk 2010 Classic VA, is broken up from a rather dense flake and takes a few matches to get it going well. Does broken flake sound something like the tobacco you tried out?

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah it sounds exactly like it, thank you very much Russ I really appreciate your help and yeah it does take a while to get going.
    ~Ron

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Best to seek more info about what you're being "sold" before you put good hard money on the counter for what someone else says, "here -- try this."

In any case, let's assume, for lack of additonal information, it's broken flake. Sure, you can cube cut it, if you own a sharp knife, totally no problem. If you're more into watching you fingers work, just go ahead a rub it out -- warning though -- if it's a McClelland, you might just have to work those fingers harder.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry about the miscommunication roth, I meant that that is what it's called, not the brand but the "cut" I guess you would call it. I was trying to figure out what to do with broken flake in general since it has a hard time cubing and rubbing hasn't given me the best results.
    ~Ron

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Broken flake can be cube cut very easily using a rotary fabric cutting tool, which works rather like a pizza cutting disk.
    These are available in craft stores; or, you can try using a pizza cutter!

I use this on a rubber-like cutting mat -- the kind that seals up after a blade has run across it.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

OK Ron, thanks for clarifying this.

As noted, you can still cube cut broken flake. I do it all the time.

While intrigued with Cortez's esoteric "tools," all you really need is a sharp knife.

Oh, if it's a McClelland broken flake, please be sure to allow it to dry properly before packing.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok I will give cube cutting a try and see how it works out with this broken flake, Thanks guys.
    ~Ron

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   redglow, jfred, elpfeife, ben88, supdog, trubka2, jaytex969, jcdarin, winton