PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
Every couple of months I need to get my Prince Albert fix. My local tobacconist doesn't stock any OTC blends, so that means asking for it at the drug store counter or going to one of those "Tobacco Depot" stores. Well I've had a few weird experiences buying tobacco in these places lately. In one place I asked if they had any cherry pipe tobacco and was asked "you want blunts or rollin' tobacco hon ?" I couldn't seem to explain the concept of pipe tobacco to her.
Obviously these people are dealing with a different type of clientele on a regular basis.
I found another place finally where the OTCs are actually on a shelf where you can pick them up yourself and take them over to the register, just like the good ole days. The only problem is, and don't get me wrong I have no hatred towards immigrant business owners, but this lady at the counter is a little pushy, and when she sees you looking at say a MM cob, she tries to get you to buy some cheap no name pipe from this display case instead. But if you ask her questions like can you order_____, I really like that, she'll bark out "what you see on shelf what we have"
Does anybody else go through this garbage when they need their OTC fix ? Would like to hear your stories.

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
I'm happy I don't. Most drug stores carry any OTC I'd be looking for and even my local B&M has a fair amount.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I would suggest 4noggins.com for your OTC fix. They have a ton of OTC blends available. Besides they are a sponsor here, another good reason to make a purchase from them.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have a local discount baccy shop. Run by a guy from the middle east. He couldn't be nicer and orders everything I ask for no problems. I have been going to him more and more since my local B&M is more cigar oriented and only stocks bulks. My grandmother even dips this old hard to find brand of snuff, he ordered an entire case just so I could have one jar, the rest are sitting on his shelf. I think he has earned my business so unless I am putting in a big order online I go to him.

Jul 15, 2011
This is a good place to tell a good story, as I was actually going to start a thread on this. Ahem:
The nearest real town, about 10 miles away, has a cigarette shop. When the man first opened, a very nice Middle Eastern man, I went into his shop just to see what it was like, and I noticed he had a little Dr. Grabow pipe in a bubble package and two Missouri Meerschaum corn cobs in a little case, but no pipe tobacco to be found. I bugged him for the longest time by telling him, "You know, if you stocked pipe tobacco, I would buy it from you." He always nodded with a nice smile and spoke in broken English, "I get your tobacco for you." I bought one of the corncobs the first time I went in there, and once a week I would go in to see if he had any pipe tobacco. After 3 straight months of this, I gave up searching. One day here about a month ago, I was in town and my father asked me to pick him up a pack of cigarettes, and I happened to be next door to the cigarette shop. I walked in to buy Dads cigs, and the Middle Eastern mans face lit up. He says, "I have been waiting for you! I get your tobacco you wanted!" He points to a shelf on the other side of the store and it is loaded with cartons of the old OTC classics. My jaw dropped open. I purchased a pouch each of Captain Black White, Gold, and Royal, some Borkum Riff Whiskey and Cherry, Carter Hall and Prince Albert. I think there may have been some Velvet or Apple and some Sir Walter Raleigh, but I can't remember. I love buying tobacco from the nice Middle Eastern man. :puffy:

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Well there was this one place in the Smokey Valley region of Nevada .... But other than that I have the luck of seeing them here and there in my dailey travels .They sometimes just dont group up with selection . But the hunt and the nice people you meet along the way ,make it a little adventure .So it is worth the effort ! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.