PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
well today my step father who also smokes a pipe showed me one of his pipes, a briar,and it seams that when he smokes it it seeps/ weeps a redish ooze at his stem.He said he smokes this pipe daily. Anybody got any ideas on how to fix this? I was thinking a good dose of everclear and some rest time

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
i had a pipe with a screw in stem years ago that did that. took one of the round stickers that you use on note book paper rings, screwed the stem thru it back into the shank and shaved extra overhang off with a razor blade and it worked like a gasket. just something i done at the time.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Pawpaw, is this a pipe that he has been smoking multiple times daily since the beginning of time? I wonder if it is just saturated.
I'd try a good cleaning and a long rest.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Yeah, there is a guy in my pipe club that uses one pipe, thats all he needs...well he smokes about 5, 6 bowls a day, he says he gives it a month off once a year and burns through a corncob, and its because it starts to ooze gunk. Recommend that he buys a corncob to smoke for a month then return back to old faithful

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i've had a pipe ooze a bit of gunk at the joint between stem and briar. should i be embarrassed to admit that?

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
It also couldn't hurt to throw a little beeswax on that mortise and tenon. I've got a Chacom that smokes like a dream, but if I don't keep a thin layer of wax on the tenon, it "sweats" goo...even with a week rest between smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.