Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
After a few years of pipe smoking, I seem to have settled into what seems will be a consistent rhythm. With my work schedule, family's activities and lifestyle, and the fact that I am the only pipe smoker I know, I find that the only times I really enjoy firing up a bowl is on weekends, unless I am on vacation. For me, grabbing a quick bowl in the morning, or here and there, does not appeal. I enjoy the ritual of relaxation without concern for hurry. Otherwise, it starts to feel more habit-ish. For a while, I tried to maintain a bowl or two per day rhythm, but it really started to feel like more effort and rush than enjoyment. I admittedly feel very self-conscious about smoking around my family and friends, all of whom are total non-smokers, so my time with my pipe always requires solitude, which is challenging to come by. Days off are the only days I find I can carve out the time to really enjoy a pipe.
I am just curious if there are many other "weekend warriors" out there. Ah if only for just a bit we could experience the acceptance, even appreciation of the presence of a man's pipe, the way men experienced decades ago. Indoors, outdoors, anywhere. If only...

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I do most of my smoking on my weekends. Its really the only time I can relax. But I have been trying to fit in a smoke here and there before work.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I set aside an hour each morning, when I get up, for a contemplative pipe when I am home. When I am offshore, that hour comes after I get off shift. Weekends don't really exist in my world, lol.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I have an odd routine during the week. I have a half hour commute to the train station. I pack a bowl in the morning and smoke half on the way to the station and the other half of the bowl on the way home. Works okay for me.

Weekends can sometimes be tuff to make time to smoke. Takes a little planning.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Although I joke about my Better Half I know I am very lucky. I do not smoke in the main part of the house, but it is permitted in the utility room (which doubles up as the dog house) and the kitchen. I never smoke in front of children or when food is being prepared. In the kitchen is a large table where I have my laptop and do most of my smoking, especially when I am working at home, which is about half the week. My weekends and my academic work flow into each other.
Thus I average about six bowls per day on four days a week and up to nine on the other three. I find (argue) that pipe smoking aids my concentration and enhances the quality of my academic writing!!
I recognise how fortunate I am, compared to many.

mtnfolkmike

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2013
I think i might be in the same boat.. I have 1 other pipe smoking friend, but he livess about 30 min. away.. We're usually pretty busy during the week and I primarilly smoke on the weekends too.. Though i do like to squezze in a few bowls during the week when possible..

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I try to smoke at least a bowl a day. Usually mine is at night after everyone has gone to bed. I will go out on the front porch and smoke a bowl in the peace and quite. On the weekend I get up before anyone so I usually do the same thing. I will go out and smoke a bowl first thing before the kids are up and then usually smoke a couple more through the day and finish up with my night cap. So I definitly qualify as a weekend smoker! :puffpipe:

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
As a single Dad to two young kids, I totally understand the hectic nature of the work week. However, I try to make time for myself once a day (usually after the kids go to bed) to have a cup of coffee and a bowl. Perhaps not spending time with a partner gives me a little more time once the kids are in bed, but I always find time if I want it. That being said, I also often miss days at a time when I don't smoke a bowl as there is no real desire to do so. I generally smoke 2 bowls a day on the weekend, 3 if I'm getting a little wild and crazy!!!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I sometimes can't "find the time" to enjoy a bowl and like most of you I don't want a quickie just to have one. That is more habit-ish and not a refined, gentlemanly way to relax. I actually smoke less on the weekends since my wife isn't a fan and it is getting colder outside.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
If my wife were still around Dan, I likely wouldn't be smoking much on the weekends either. Fortunately my shed out back is almost ready for the winter months and I have a new heater on route to hopefully keep it a little warmer this winter and allows the rare moments of me time to be a little more pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.