PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Got this off the 'Bay a couple weeks ago and it's a bit of an odd one. It's a Weber Shellbrooke squat bent bulldog that looks rather like a small German shag pipe but it's anything but dainty. It's beefy in the hand and stretches to near seven inches with a stout but quite graceful stem which is very slightly oversized thus may be a replacement. The bowl carving, more distinct than in the photo, is apparently an old Weber standby that essays the effect of a bas-relief with a funky repeating shape. I think it's from the fifties or sixties but even after a lot of rooting around I can't be sure. Oddly appealing, at least to me, and after considerable cleanup a good smoker. Of course shag can be smoked in it but it takes a healthy double pinch of it to fill the bowl.
shellbrooke-600x185.jpg

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Yeah it does have a certain je ne sais something or other. It's a churchwarden similar to that used by the actual Churchwarden, Knuckles Zamboni, at the cathedral of Nostra Signora di Cemento in Bayonne.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Dar:
Weber burners are one of the most overlooked values on the Bay and yours looks like a terrific smoker.
Weber runs alongside Jost and Ehrlich for better than average burners and my estate smoking guru and mentor says they're every bit as good as GBD, Savinelli, Comoy's, Butz-Choquin and Peterson.
You made a good catch, pal.
Fnord

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Roger that Juliet Alpha.
We're lighting the fires at rally point Delta Oscar in the post media today if'n you's interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.