PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I know that extreme cold or hot weather effects most wood products. Am I correct in this assumption? If so I'm curious what kind of pipe I might could keep in the car all the time, in n.Texas temps get well above 100* for several days of the year. Also can I stick a small pouch of tobacco in there, say a few bowls, & it survive?

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
A M&M cob will do if You like them, Myself it's the one I would use and any baccy in a small old pill container works for Me.

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
I read that sunlight accelerates stem oxidation. Wood could fracture if it is very cold and all of a sudden there is a fire against one side--as in lighting a pipe. North Texas is a cold place in the winter--especially when the wind is blowing. I will stay here in Houston.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have had a curved stem straighten out on a pipe that I left in the car one day. We were visiting 6 Flags in Arlington. Other than that, the pipe was fine. I think the heat would be good for a bowl, dry it out more, but bad for the stem.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I wouldn't keep anything there but a cob. Likewise, the only 'baccy I would subject to that is maybe an OTC burley.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I'll go against the grain on this one.
I've inherited a Peterson Dublin 80s with a huge chip out of the side that lives in my center console. So far, it's surviving the Canadian winter with no detrimental effects. I do allow it to warm to my hand before I apply flame though. I know my great-uncle used to take this a step further, and leave his pipe on the patio (he lived in Winterpeg, much more extreme climate than Vancouver sports).

My biggest concern with her isn't the briar cracking, but the tenon breaking free due to expansion and contraction. I do notice that the pipe doesn't "breath" to the same degree as my "indoor" smokers, likely due to the higher humidity; and as such requires a deep clean more often, but it still smokes like an old Pete should.
I also keep a pouch of Amphora Original Blend in the center console; but that's not doing it any favours...more for those "Oh crap" times when I run out the door without any tobacco and don't have time to stop. As one would expect, it dries out when the humidity drops, and ends up over-moist when it rains for a month straight...

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I live in Sugar Land, TX and I wouldn't keep any of my pipes on the seat of a car in the TX heat and humidity. However, you may try the glove box which would be out of the direct sun. As for the tobacco in a pouch again I would leave tobacco in the direct sun and the glove box probably would work and long as you only kept it in the glove box for a day or two at a time. After that your tobacco may lose most of the taste and stale. Good luck.

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
@salewis - These guys from up north (ie north of Conroe) cannot understand heat in Houston the same way I am glad I do not understand the winter in Chicago. As the tobacco ages according to how it is preserved in a tin or jar so does it age in the environment the tin or jar resides.
Tom from the Champions Forest/FM 1960 part of Houston. Go Texans!!!

Jan 24, 2012
I would never leave my pipe out in the West Texas sun, forget that. Tobacco maybe, Sweetwater, TX can be damn hot.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Carpenter.
Sorry I missed this post in the beginning.
I wouldn't leave a pipe in my car during the summer in texas. Even if the pipe's not in direct sunlight, your car will get pretty darn hot. I always carry a little one pipe pouch. Just put in a pocket and carry it around. I have two little nameless bents that go in the pouch when I'm running around. If I know I'm going somewhere where I can sit and relax, I'll put a nicer pipe in it.
Granted, I have left those two little pocket pipes in the center console in the truck on occasion, but not for an extended period of time. Tobacco may fare better. I should put a little tin of something in there to see how it does. Looks like I have myself an experiment this summer ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.