12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine does. I can tolerate latakia in the cold, but not the heat of the day. And, in the cold, I can't smoke an aromatic at all. When it gets really hot, like when you can't sleep under blankets at night sort of heat, I'd rather have a cigar than the pipe. There's just something about a sweaty day, sultry evenings, salty women in tank tops, Cuban music, sweet tea, and a cigar.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
The cold seems to always washout Virginia’s for me. Not Cosmic’s kinda ‘bama chilly, but real cold.

I thought “salty women” was an attitude thing for a minute there. Haha

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I smoke more Latakia based blends in the winter (only time I smoke them) and Virginias/VaPers the rest of the time.
The idea of smoking a Lat Bomb in the summer nauseates me.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I've lived in the midwest U.S., with hot summers and cold, cold winters, nearly all my life. The seasons affect my tastes and cravings in just about everything food and drink and smoke. I tend to prefer the lat-heavy when it's cold, Kentucky-rich and aromatics in more moderate spring and fall temperatures, straight Virginias and Va/Pers in the summer. There is no inflexible ruling or strict practice to any of this, however.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
The seasons certainly affect my tastes in food. I haven't noticed the same with tobacco, though. But I'm sampling blends and haven't gotten any kind of routine yet.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There's just something about a sweaty day, sultry evenings, salty women in tank tops, Cuban music, sweet tea, and a cigar.
Change the sweet tea to espresso, and cigar to a pipeful of a rich latakia blend, and I am all in.
Though I live in a mild climate, and do not have the cold of Winter nor the heat of Summer to vex me much. So, English and Balkans year round.

Down here, if you don’t work outside at all, and you only smoke in air conditioning, then it doesn’t matter. But, you’re always dehydrated if you spend much time outside, because you’re coated in sweat that never evaporates just going outside from your house to car. Mouths stay dry, and no matter how much you drink water, you’ll always stay dehydrated feeling, so latakia loses its appeal down here in the summer. I ride bikes and work in the garden and the field often, so something sweet is more likely to keep moisture in my mouth. This is 98% humidity in over 100F temps. The sweat doesn’t stop when you come in either. You kinda have to like the heat to survive. Me, I can take the heat better than the cold. It suits my coat.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Holy sh**, Michael! I don't think I could survive long in those conditions before going batshit crazy. I lived in the Sacramento Valley for four years, and Summers could pass 100º for days on end, but it was a dry heat. I grew up in Illinois, where Summer heat and humidity were an inconvenience, not a death knell. Thank heavens for the Pacific Ocean and the resources to live near it.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I was just out side with the Snow Plow...sleet and light rain...MM Cob with King Frog Morton (New from KSP&C). While the smoke was quicker then Summertime...It was still tasty...OH...This tobacco is a real good satisfying blend to Frog Morton.

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
I’m in New England. It’s 14 right now and English/Balkan is all I’m smoking. The minute it warms up it’s Virginia and Vapers. Funny how many people say the same.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
Has anyone found that weather (hot or cold) makes a difference in your smoking other than those who can't smoke inside? Does the taste change?
I find that extremely cold weather can make tasting a blend more difficult. I don't seem to favor a particular type in one season over another; I'll get a craving for an English one day, then a VaPer the next. I'm pretty consistent year round.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Balkans and English more often in the winter. I had some haunted bookshop yesterday. Even though it was cold, it was still good lol

Status
Not open for further replies.