PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottishjohn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
[I just made a comment in another forum that set me to thinking and wondering.

How many of you blue blooded pipe smokes out there wear the kilt? Even every so

often, if not all the time out in public.]
Ian

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Special occasions, and lots in the summer. Well as much as I can afford as I only got the one which was specially made in my family tartan

Aug 1, 2012
I got married in mine. Don't wear it now since my girth has increased but I'm saving up for one from each of the 2 clans I can claim.

macthenife

Lurker
Mar 24, 2011
I wear mine on a regular basis. I have a 16oz Gunn Ancient that I love. You want to get some interesting looks walking down the street, smoke a pipe while you are wearing your kilt. I found that you become pretty popular.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
oh no another Gunn... Remind me to avoid drinkin with you Mac...Us gunns tend to get in trouble when we get into a group with alchohol involved :lol: Have to ask though where did you get the tartan through?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
There's usually a group of guys at pipe shows in kilts. Not exactly sure WHY, but they're there.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Well im not Scottish... but I do want one to where on my obstacle races :) but they sure arent cheap for good quality ones and if I do buy one it HAS to be very good quality because it will get BEAT UP on these races.
Josh... those are actually good prices on that Ebay seller

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
their actually not bad durabilitywise either captain. I wore mine all season at the campsite last summer the stitching on the side of the pocket started to give out towards the end but I ordered some kevlar thread to fix it up with and do a little reinforcing

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I should wear mine more often. Found out when I got measured for my last one that the guy who measured me for my first one got the length wrong, which is part of why it felt a little off... So now I've got a formal Buchanan Hunting tartan kilt (with Prince Charlie jacket and waistcoat), two casual Utilikilts, and a formerly formal Buchanan Modern that I'll just wear slung a little lower... :D

scottishjohn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
Just thought I owe you all a little more information. Have and wear a kilt often. Although I have rights to two tartans I wear my one of LAMONT most. My McDOUGAL gets a work out every once in awhile as well. The kilts are both over 30 years old. I think they may last forever! Made in Scotland when I was there for awhile. Yes.......I have had to get them "altered" over the years, as the guy making the measurements said "Aye; these things must have shrunk a bit my lad". They now again fit well, and I watch my weight a little better. I was able to get them altered exactly where I originally had them made. Not many places that are in business for mor than 100 years these days

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I wear mine fairly regularly. My forum pic was taken at a highland games, so of course I was then. (I have the honor to serve as state commissioner for my clan society.)

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I wish they would catch on a bit more in the States. They would be great for summers in Texas. Not very good for hunting rattlesnakes or walking through saw grass, though. I could either wear the Tartan of Clan Niall or Clan MacLean, which is kind of funny because those clans are known to hate each other.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Not of Scottish decent, nor do I wear a kilt...my family is from Norway I guess I should wear a horned helmet??

Anyway here's you a kilt chair
http://i44.tinypic.com/96avci.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Nothing wrong with Norway.
bunad-girls.jpg

macthenife

Lurker
Mar 24, 2011
Hey there Josh, who knows getting a couple of Gunns together for some drinks may stir things up a bit. I got my fabric from Scotweb. I had my kilt hand sewn by a mate of mine. He did a fine job and I'm proud to wear it.
Jud, I'm a commissioner for clan Gunn as well for the Northwest region. One year I had a tent at the games in Athena, OR and a photographer was there from a paper out of WA that did a small write up about the games. I was smoking my pipe there and the photographer decided to do his write up about me at the games. He took a photo of me smoking my pipe and called me "The Smokin Gunn". No joke. Just Google images of Smokin Gunn. It was great promoting pipe smoking and my clan.

Status
Not open for further replies.