Wearing My Irish Kilt Today, Because...Why Not?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I purchased myself a kilt last year to celebrate my Irish ancestry. I know the whole debate about whether or not my Irish ancestors even wore one, but it helps make me feel closer to them in some sort of way. I decided that since St. Paddy's Day is on a Sunday, I'd wear my kilt to work today to celebrate at the office. I even brought along my bottle of Irish whiskey in case anyone cares to join me for an Irish coffee later this afternoon.
Also, since St. Paddy's Day falls on a Sunday this year, we're planning to celebrate on Saturday, as I'd very much not like to have to roll in to work on Monday with a whiskey hangover. We're planning to go out to a nice Irish restaurant for some Irish boxty's and maybe 2 or a few Guinness and black and tans, then head back towards the house for some more drinks at home to celebrate the occasion. All while enjoying some Erin Go Bragh in my St. Paddy's Day pipes. Looking forward to a good weekend!
Anyone else wear a kilt to celebrate the day?

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
Good stuff.
While the idea of an Irish kilt/tartan is relatively recent, I'm all for people wearing kilts to celebrate their heritage.
Wear it proudly!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeh, I was like "Irish kilt," what the fuck is that.
Pretty much the same, but no clan representation like Scottish kilts. Mine is just an Irish Green tartan to signify my Irish ancestry. The others you can use are solid green, St. Patrick's, or Ulster red.
My tartan, the Irish Green:
thumbnail_hs_irish_green.jpg

When I went to visit Ireland back in the late 80's, I remember one guy on the tour with us asked about kilts. The guide told us, "no self-respecting Irishman would ever be caught dead in a kilt, but hundreds of years ago, we gave them to the Scotts, along with those godforsaken bagpipes, and we have laughed at them ever since." :puffy:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Hahahahahahaha, well that would sound exactly like an Irishman. Oh well, I still enjoy wearing mine, and it would be most Irish of me to tell any of them off if they said anything against me!
They must have replaced those bagpipes with the uilleann pipes then, since I know most traditional Irish music contains them. They're hard to miss. Always wanted to learn how to play them, but they're just too damn loud to practice with.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you own kilt, this seems like the time to wear it. Also, time for that old joke. A Scot was asked what was worn under the kilt, and he replied, nothing, everything under the kilt is in perfect working condition.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I believe the kilt is for those Scots plantation guys from up North sent by the Crown to displace the original land owners. I have a bit of that blood but, thankfully my Republican lineage is stronger. So, I would favor a tunic or, even rough wool pants, should I feel the urge to dress the part. But, the original purpose of the day is long forgotten or, was never known to most. Now it's a day for all things Irish, even if those things are made in Taiwan.
So, have grand and semi-sober (I suppose that is blasphemous to some. Even in Ireland where many take the day for a full on, pub-crawling drunk. Tis' sad it is!) Saint Patrick's Day! Kilts are certainly acceptable. So are sarongs, berets, green cowboy hats and etc.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Happy St. Pat's carolina. Warren, I'm a descendant of those Ulster Scots, though my family does not appear to have been part of a plantation scheme. Cosmic, Ulster had a thriving linen industry back in the 17th and 18th centuries and apparently exported tartan fabric to Scotland. A 17th century scrap of tartan had been found in Ulster and I believe is now referred to as the Ulster tartan. Tartan color schemes way back when, of course, were dictated by the available regional plant dyes

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
And, don't get me wrong! If a lad has the legs for a kilt ... by all means go for it. Properly kitted up, a Scotsman looks phenomenal in his native dress. The formal kit, kilt, snee (dirk), spooran, coat, tam, etc. is properly inspiring any evening of the year.
The English so prized Irish linen that they prohibited selling into Europe. They wanted it all for the Kingdom to the detriment of Irish sheep herders and linen makers all over the Island.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I'm still in need of a nice belt and a sporran. It's been killing me all damn day to reach for my pocket with none in sight. That's alright for now though, because I planned ahead and wore a shirt with a pocket to hold my lighter and tamper when I disappear outside for a smoke! Got on my brogues though and sporting my Irish harp pin which keeps me twig and berries from coming exposed from a bit of a draft.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
The thought of obtaining a kilt in the ancient Clan Mackay pattern, as my surname is a clansman name of that clan, had certainly crossed my mind in the past. But I opted not to do so as I would only have worn it at the annual Scottish festival nearby which is sadly no more anyway. Guess I could have picked scotch-irishearl as my handle here but it just didn't roll off the tongue right and wanted to also pay homage to the land of my favorite pipe maker. Though guess you could say the maker is now "Irish-American." :)

Status
Not open for further replies.