Weaknesses for British pipes. new pipes.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Well Barry Jones retired and I figured if I did not get an Upshall now I never would. First is a P grade group 6 bent billiard and second is a group 5 Tillshead bent bulldog. I am concerned about the size of the bent bulldog, and if not large enough I will sell it at cost. Next I guess I will need an Ashton.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Only my Ferndown is surely a Brit pipe. My other three, as sable has reminded me, only carry the stamp about their being made in England and/or London, but even the potential impostors have a certain magnetism. Just bought a small clencher Ben Wade, perhaps made in the Dunhill factory, but maybe not. The others are a Britannia and a Parker cherrywood poker. My current standard English blend is PS Proper English, Lat rich but not harsh.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
@ashdigger I know. I have only ha Bitish pipes since 2005 and my introduction to them. It doesnt help tat Les Wood is a personal friend. Problem being is I cant seem to keep them. I currently have 7, 6 Ferndowns and 1 Askwith, and these two one the way. I have probably had 3 dozen pass through my collection since 2005 including Taylor made Ashtons, Dunhills, Ferndowns, and northern Briars.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
That 'P' grade is a lovely pipe. So in the James Upshall style. The Rhodesian is also beautifully shaped, I love the thin shank on this one. It gives it that truly hand-made look.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Thanks Ken. Means a lot coming from you. Kinda justifies the choices for those two.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nice pick ups! Every Brit fan needs at least one James Upshall P grade.
I have an S grade that is quite similar to your Tilshead. It's a favorite because it is slightly smaller than a typical James Upshall.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Sorry The Size 6 measures 6 1/4" in length, just over 2 1/4" in bowl height, almost 1 7/10th" bowl diameter with almost 8/10th" tobacco chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.