PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
I have always enjoyed the ocassional, what I would call expensive(£10-15)cigars, but I needed more. Inspired by my love of all the great explorers I thought a pipe would really do the trick and decided to give it a go. The plan was to buy a high quality tobacco and only smoke occasionally (If only I had known the truth). Not having a clue I thought I would go for the most expensive I could find (Davidoff Flake Medallions £17.60 for 50 grams).

I never actually smoked it as my research and forum reading spiralled out of control. Two months and 22 samples later Davidoff is back on my mind. It is almost £5 more expensive than say a tin of Erinmore.

The questions are: what are the most expensive tobaccos out there? are they all that? and what are the cheap blends that people are enjoying?
Edit: I capitalized your thread title and deleted a duplicate.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
When you buy a Davidoff humidor, lighter or smoking jacket, you are buying some of the best quality items one can get. When you buy their cigars or tobacco, you are getting a good product but could find its equal for less (unless you simply can't find a comparable stick or tobacco but I would find that hard to believe). YMMV I'll let others chime in about comparable blends though.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Davidoff is nothing more than brand name.
It is divorced of any other connections to perceived class, quality or exceptionalism. The brand is owned and manufactured by STG, alongside a plethora of other (remarkable) tobaccos that come out of their Denmark facilities. I'm not saying that it's not great stuff. It is, I like it. What I'm saying is, don't equate brand or cost with quality. If you like Davidoff, then go down the line and try all of the STG products that appeal to you.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Not sure cheap tobaccos exist in the UK. That said check out EA Carey own blends. They are blended by Sam G and STG and if you join the tobacco club can be purchased for under Ten pounds for 50g.
I wouldn't buy Davidoff FM. While stocks last the same tobacco can be purchased as Orlik Bullseye for £12.
Peterson Irish Oak is great value and be found for £11 in some tobacconists in UK.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I've never had Davidoff. But the fact is it almost never talked about on the boards tells me its not likely to be a blow your socks off product.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We have Davidoff blends here, but I don't know a single pipe smoker who uses it regularly. I believe it is primarily sold by their chain stores, which seem to cater to cigar smokers. We have one nearby, but I've never been. My bet is everything in that store is over-priced.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've heard from several different sources that Davidoff Flake Medallions are simply Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flakes in tin packaging instead of bulk.

Having smoked them side by side, along with Comoy's Cask No. 7, I have to say that if there is a difference, it's very hard to tell.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
+1 for stokkebye bullseye. Most members here have recommended it aged for a few years, but I REALLY enjoy it fresh. I've got some in my cellar that's about 1 year old. I'm looking forward to cracking open the mason jar soon.
How is the price on MacBaren in the UK? On this side of the pond, not a bad price, and they offer some in bulk boxes or bags.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Most tobaccos including MacBaren are in and around £12 in UK. You struggle to find bulk of anything.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
As said above, Davidoff tobacco is just re branded STG blends. No reason to pay the extra. In my experience you get what you pay for in pipe tobacco. I stocked my cellar mostly with tins that are considered to be the more expensive blends and I enjoy them a great deal. One of the least expensive flakes on the market( Orlik Golden Sliced) is a blend I do not stock as to my tastes it is only real tasty after a decade or more of aging. The flakes in my cellar are all tasty fresh so I can enjoy them at a multitude of different ages. For my tastes the OGS is real grassy and hay like flavored when young. I would much rather smoke a fresh tin of Dunhill Flake, Capstan Blue, Wessex Gold, Brigham Klondike Gold, Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, and Samuel Gawith Best Brown flake, which are all in the same category of lighter side VA flakes.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
That sucks you can't find bulk. Would that be in the B&Ms only? How about online ordering? I'm not sure about shipping costs

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Frankly, I didn't much care for Davidoff when it WAS Davidoff. I found their cigars made after Cuba totally lacking in flavor, so refined that they didn't exist. Their other goods were just labels stuck on goods made by outside providers and not really great quality. Very early on Davidoff turned out some quality product, but that was a long time ago.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
When I was at the peak of my cigar smoking about 20 years ago, Davidoff humidors were some of the best around. Hand made in Switzerland with the highest quality woods, the fit and finish was beyond reproach. At the time most humidors were either poorly made and even many that were put together well, sealed too tight. To this day I don't think I know of a better humidor. Manning and Daniel Marshall come close but I still wouldn't put them on the same level of rock solid humidity levels or fit and finish. Have they really fallen so far? I see they are using a French company now. I agree their cigars were never that great, especially for the price.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
You will get no argument from me there. I know some folks like a mellow smooth cigar but they were nothing special. Surprisingly though I was handed one of their Nicaraguans recently and was pleasantly surprised. They still didn't threaten any of my go to sticks and I'm sure the price of admission is unreasonable.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Murf - its just not something that has taken off in Britain. The only blends that can be bulk purchased are Sam G.
We can order online from the US, but run the risk of Customs if you order large quantities.

Status
Not open for further replies.