PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I overheard a guy at work the other day talking about cigars. I jumped in and told him I smoke pipes, and proceeded to show him some pics of my collection.

We got to talking about them, and the vast variety of tobacco available for pipes.

Anyway, I suggested he give the pipe a try.

He told me yesterday that he bought an MM cob at the local B&M and some of Melvin's house blended cavendish. He said he's loving it so far!

So tonight I brought him about a dozen samples of various blends (including a few flakes and coins) and gave him some tips.

I also told him he should join the forum, which he said he will probably do.

Always nice to help a new brother!

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Good on you! We need more evangelists like yourself. It sounds like your friend has a good chance of sticking with it, especially if you keep on coaching him. You can appreciate how discouraging and frustrating it can be for newbies to "get it right" on their own with respect to proper filling, lighting, avoiding burn and bite, etc. Heck, some of us have been smoking pipes since Grant was a cadet and we're still debating techniques! Be a good mentor.
I converted two of my sons and my son-in-law. Unfortunately one of my sons has become an apostate, having reverted to the cult of foul-smelling cylinders. We're trying to get him back before it's too late.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
Thats great. A cousin of mine has been saying he wanted to get into pipe smoking ( him knowing I do smoke a pipe). I gave him 2 pipes a few different tobaccos to try out, along with some advice on how to get started. I also told him to join the forum. Hopefully he will and we will have a new member.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I like to hang out down at the pre-school playground and smoke my favorite: Froot-Loops Cavendish. That seems to get them interested.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
That's really great of you. :) I wish I had somebody to show me the ropes when I first started out.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
lol mephisto - maybe you may not want to literally show newbies the 'ropes' till they get some nicotine tolerance. Starting with some 1Q or a low dose blend may be more successful.
hp

les

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have an apprentice at work, that just picked up a Ropp bent brandy and a Johs churchwarden just before Christmas. He's taken quite well to it and after all of the blends I have shared with him, he favors very heavy latakia blends. Really likes White Knight, Pirate Kake, and Balkan Sobranie. Loved the look of sheer joy on his face when he pulled out the churchwarden. Was like seeing my kids on Christmas morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.