Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
OK, I've said it before. I am not a collector of pipes in the sense that I have purchased/acquired some 20 plus over the years for my rotation but I have drawn a line in the sand as regards price. I cannot imagine a $200-$500 pipe smoking any better than a $50-$100 pipe. All mine fall into the latter category and have given me good service/smokes.

Today as per usual, my Monday/Thursday update for SmokingPipes.com came and I read it with interest and then I examined all the pipes for sale...new and estate versions. Some were priced at $1000 and upward. What BS! Pipes for financiers,robber barons and bankers? Who in their right mind can afford such largesse? If I can't smoke it, I aint gonna buy it AND I'm not saving up for it at a $1000 plus a whack.
Soon the pipe market will have priced itself outside of the mainstream working/retired man's options and go the way of cigars where a decent cigar is priced around $10 a pop. True nonsense. For me, it is $50-$100 per pipe, period.
Your thoughts.
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9, L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

Dec 24, 2012
My thoughts are that there is a clear, positive correlation between price and quality. I'm not saying the correlation is linear, as it undoubtedly plateaus and there are diminishing returns. And there are also undoubtedly outliers - pipes that are better than more expensive pipes.
To me, it is much like a car. Sure, i could drive a Toyota Corolla if i wanted to, and that would serve the basic function of transportation. However, because I enjoy the experience of driving, I would much rather drive a Porsche 911. To each his own.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
If you are into artisan pipes and have the money, who am I to say that it's wrong? It's true, I will probably never have a $1000 pipe. Hell, a $300 pipe is out of my price-range. Besides, I'd rather spend my money on tobacco.
-Jason

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
There is a market for pipes at every price point. Value is different things to different people. Your have found your good smokers in the price range that you feel comfortable with. We all do that really.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
I see your point, and I certainly agree there is a point of diminishing return. I have a $600.00 Winslow with mediocre mechanics that is a chore to smoke, and $40.00 Sav. Series III that smokes like a dream. However, those wild looking artisan pipes take time to make, everyone prices their own time to their own taste.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Terry,
Well, this road has certainly been well traveled. Whenever someone indicates to me that in this day and age a $50-$100 pipe will smoke as well as a $200-$500 pipe, I agree that one might just do that. But, in my experience the odds are great that a $50-$100 pipe will not smoke as well or be as handsomely constructed as a $300 pipe (I do think that at the $500 mark one is paying for a lot more than just the smoking experience, but still, such a pipe has a better chance of being a great smoker than a $50 pipe).
I tell newer pipe smokers to save their money and buy one $300 pipe instead of three $100 pipes or six $50 pipes). It is better to build slowly with quality briar rather than wind up with a herd of pedestrian smokers.
I humbly suggest that you save up some cash and get a $300 pipe that suits your fancy. Smoke some quality leaf in it for awhile and then post again. If I was a bettin' man I'd bet your honest appraisal would be like a bird singing a different tune.
Best,
Pipestud

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
My thoughts are that there is a clear, positive correlation between price and quality. I'm not saying the correlation is linear, as it undoubtedly plateaus and there are diminishing returns. And there are also undoubtedly outliers - pipes that are better than more expensive pipes.
+1
Some higher priced pipes have added bling (like gold bands) or are done with such painstaking craftsmanship that the pipemaker wants to be compensated for his time and expertise.
I own a few $200 pipes and some $50 pipes and I agree that there isn't always a huge difference, but the odds of getting a clunker does diminish when the price goes higher.
I will also offer that I own two Dunhills (both in the $600 range when new). Both of these pipes are noticeably better than all of my other pipes. The briar is extremely light weight. They are drilled to perfection, the stem couldn't be better crafted or fitted and they never disappoint.
So if one has the funds, one will often (not always) get what they pay for - but I will agree, you can still get a fine smoke from a much cheaper pipe and enjoy smoking them.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I like the car comparison earlier. But a better one is motorcycles. You can buy a great motorcycle or a piece of crap for between eight and ten thousand bucks.

You can go farther and get a great bike or a hunk of junk for between ten and twenty thousand dollars. Any more than that you never get what ya pay for.

Those hundred thousand dollar custom bikes ya see on American chopper is a mediocre twenty thousand dollar motorcycle with OCC stamped on the side.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Yes there are plenty of 250-550 dollar pipes that will smoke way better than pipes in the 50-100 range. In terms of quality of briar, stem design, drilling and smoking properties an artisan pipe and the better factory pipes in most cases offers a much better smoking experience. A hand cut stem from a top artisan makes a pipe smoke better. There are aspects to stem design that influence the smoking properties. Yes you can get good smoking pipes for less than 100, but a top of the line smoking experience is not very easy in that range.
If you have never smoked an artisan pipe made from quality briar that has a hand cut stem made from German Vulcanite, then it is difficult to comprehend how much better that pipe will smoke. Imagine a pipe that never needs a pipe cleaner to soak up excess moisture, imagine a pipe that fits your teeth to perfection and is a pleasure to clench, not a chore. These are some of the benefits of a great pipe.
Now pipes that are 1000.00 and more you are mostly paying for the grain and the looks. I have smoked many 1000.00 plus pipes and none have smoked better than my 200-550.00 American made artisan pipes, some just as well, but none better.
In regards to what people pay for their pipes, that is a personal decision based on ones financial situation. If you can afford 2000.00 pipes them more power to you I say.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Sorry Charlie (cigmaster) and others. I never came from the aristocracy or had the liquid funds available to spend my money on a Porsche rather than a Ford. Both give a ride in comfort and all the extras in the German model are way beyond my tastes. Maybe there is an argument for $200 pipes smoking better-drill,stem,design or whatever than a less expensive pipe but I won't be espousing their virtues anytime in my lifetime.
With my money, I'll experiment with better tobaccos and use the rest for philanthropy. No one needs a Porsche. Just my opinion.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"For me, it is $50-$100 per pipe, period."
That's fine. But to claim that some pipes are "Way out of line" or "True nonsense" merely because they're more expensive than what you're willing to pay seems like sour grapes on your part.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
It's true to say that in the last few years, high end pipe prices have spiked significantly. Part of this may be due to the recent influx of high end Chinese buyers. See Max Engels of pipes2smoke recent newsletter who recaps this phenomena. On the positive side there are a lot of great smokers on eBay for the hundred dollar mark or thereabouts. I'm thinking Kaywoodies, Merchant Service, Tracy Minter, Carl Weber, Yello-Bole, Edward's, Ehrlich, Comoy seconds, Parker, Hardcastle, Radice, BBB, GBD, Stanwell, Peterson, etc. - just to name a few off the top of my head. So there's a lot of fine vintage seasoned briar out there. And I don't really care what the high end pipes are going for these days. I've had my share of high end pipes (Michael Parks, Negoita, Downie, Purdy, Comoy, Dunhill, Charatan and Ashtons) that were purchased before this recent price spike, and, for the most part, I see no difference among my 70 pipes - in terms of smokability - between my $100 dollar pipes and my $800 dollar pipes. Sacrilege. Blasphemy. I know. But the truth is painful at times. And here's another zinger sure to kick up a dust cloud - in the fragrant land of the tobacco pipe, the old nugget "You only get what you pay for" is nonsense at best. At best, mind you.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
One of things I enjoy about this forum is admiring the great pipes, whether or not they are in my price range. And I enjoy the friendly people of this forum that may have a higher standard of living than myself, and truly appreciate that they do not look down on myself or others on this forum. I've never read any critisism directed to a fellow member for not smoking an expensive pipe, indeed I have received comliments for my Sav Autograph 000 and for my Bertram D C $10 pipe. I think Bigvan is correct in mentioning sour grages. If one doesn't want to be snubbed because of their financial status, they shouldn't snub others.
Price does have relevance on how well a pipe smokes and how good it looks, as mentioned above it is not a linear absolute, but in pipes, cars, houses, etc. you get what you pay for. The proper goal as I see it is to be happy with what you have and not be envious of someone who has more.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Hey Terry,my name is Harris not Charlie. I worked my ass off 80-100 hours a week for years to get where I am and did not come from any aristocracy. If I want to pay 400.00 for a pipe it sure as shit is none of your business and you have no right to judge. Don't blame me because you cannot afford pipes of that price. You have a lot of balls coming here spouting your shit.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Whoa, Harris. Not going to get into a pissing contest with you. I worked hard too and am not envious of your spending habit or wealth. Keep your vulgarity to yourself.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
terry, then don't go calling me Charlie and accusing me of being some aristocrat. You sure come off as someone who is totally envious, the entire original post wreaks of it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Dag nabbit! Nothin' beats P.A. in a cob! :D
Hmmm... now who's opinion carries more weight: one who has never owned a $200+ pipe, or one who has, and claims they are better?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Don"t run down people's stuff, be glad for them, I enjoy all the beautiful things the members show, so what if you can"t afford high end pipes at least you"re smoking, you are still putting fire to the tobbaco and puffing. If you can" t hang with that then get the hell out of the way cause the big boys are comeing thru.

Status
Not open for further replies.