PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I can see how waxing a classic shape pipe would be a straightforward process.
For those of you who have figural meers, how do you apply the wax between all the eagle talons, dragon teeth, fishermen beards, mermaid boobs and feathers?

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
The best way as Yavuz told me is to dip the pipe in melted wax. Although you have to have enough wax for that.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That's something I was wondering too.

I would like to "wax" my Holmes and Watson set, but I'm not sure how to go about it with out making a mess of it.
Any suggestions?

I thought about doing it "spit shine" style by lighting the wax and using a clean soft cloth to apply the melted wax...

But, that still seems like it could go south on me and I would end up with something resembling an insect in amber.... only white.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
The only problem I have seen with that method Lawrence is the beeswax burns very easy. It turned black when I tried heating it with a lighter. If you are careful you might be able to pull it off though. I did the method Yavuz suggested only I didn't have enough beeswax. It didn't turn out that great.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That's why I have reservations about that method.

I have also considered just lightly rubbing a clean stick of beeswax on the pipe when it's warm.

The problem is the pipes are so small and have plenty of little "nooks and crannies" e.g. the eyes.

This photo is just a little smaller than actual size.
merechaumsherlockjohn1-1-600x450.jpg

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I have 3 Meers... one I carved myself, one small eagle claw and one large mofo turban wearing guy.... I was never aware that you have to wax them 8O is this something that is a must? if so how often?

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
First you melt the wax in a container and then daub some of it on the Pipe. I use a doubled up Pipe cleaner for this. Load the Pipe up with the wax so that it completely covers the Pipe. It’s best to do this over the pot of melted wax to catch the drippings. Once the wax has cooled, then use the hair dryer or heat gun to melt off the excess. I use a bit of cardboard inserted in the bowl’s chamber to hold the Pipe for this entire procedure.

This is from Fred Bass' article: Slave to the White Goddess

Any other tips would be welcome.
@ captainprophesy - Fred's articles are worth reading.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Thanks Phillip... Im more of a briar guy so dont know jack about the Meer's... but some of those Meers on that article are just stunning! ... Thanks again :D

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I believe that waxing is only important if you want to try to control the color and thus how the meerschaum looks -- so if that's important (which it does appear to be for many meer owners) then go for it.
Well to be honest... I would rather see how the Meer patinas on it's own... more natural per se. Hope that makes sense.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I am pretty sure that if you carved it yourself then it would need at least one coat of beeswax. It protects it and prevents it from absorbing your finger grease. Maybe Yavuz can elaborate more.

Status
Not open for further replies.