PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Not long back I bought the Professor, one of many in the Sherlock Holmes series and decided he needed some company so, I invited Mr. Watson to leave the UK and stay with us. I must admit he's a handsome fellow and is patiently waiting to be smoked...that will be today. It may not be that apparent from the pics but the Watson is considerably larger in bowl height, inside and outside diameter as well as the depth.
_DEF4607.jpg

_DEF4606.jpg

And, the two together with the Watson on bottom.
_DEF4608.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Nice—and of course you've got to have Watson! Hope you'll let us know how she smokes.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I was going to wait until later to try it out but it got the best of me. I filled the bowl half way and loaded it with Captain Black White and might I say it smokes superbly. No filter to contend with, which I'm most happy about, and several minutes into the smoke you can lightly blow into the bowl or the stem from about six inches away and the smoke just bellows out the other end...a perfect airway and draws wonderful.
I didn't mention on the opposite side of the bowl where the Peterson engraving is the word "Watson" is on the other side. Although I prefer the fishtail, the P-lip doesn't really present a problem and this one is no exception. It's just Grade A all the way from looks to the way it smokes. If you like Peterson's Sherlock series and don't mind the P-lip, the Watson is highly recommended.
photoman-I got it from the UK. A fellow on ebay that goes by bondsofoxfordst.

Aug 14, 2012
Watson was a Dr., not a Mr. In the new film he is played by Lucy Liu, a Ms. Dr. Excellent pipes, wot.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Yep, that's another nice one. I'm eying the Original and the Rathbone as well.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
IMHO, you can't beat the SH series from Peterson. my first SH was the Hudson, my second somewhere on the north altanic is a black blast 'original' w/military mount. the next will be either the Lestrade or Hopkins.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
There's quite a variety of pipes in the series. I chose a couple I especially liked and am not disappointed with either. I'd still like the Original and maybe the Rathbone or Mycroft.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Excuse for a minute while I wipe up the drool....

OK, now that that's done, I must chastise you for creating such temptation! When I saw the Professor in your earlier post, and went to the Peterson website to check them out, I was drawn to either the Watson or the Original. Seeing your Watson just, well, makes me so envious! Will have to start dropping hints to the Pretty Half about a birthday present...
After some experience, tell us which you prefer, P-lip aside. Yeah, I'm sure they're both great (grumble, grumble), but you must favor one?

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I haven't had either long enough to establish a favorite as yet but both have their places. If I want a 20-30 minute smoke, I'd grab the Professor. It did come with a filter but I eliminated that by using the Vauen adapter and like that much better. However, the Watson is also a superb piece of workmanship, draws great and is deep enough to last a good hour or more.
Photoman-I'd go broke getting the entire series but do have a couple more in mind for future purchases. I'd have to rule out a couple of them as the bowl depth is less than 1.5 inches, which is about my minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.