Watching the Watchers (Bidding Site Reference)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Not leaving any links or spamming. Just commenting on how much I enjoy watching the watchers. I have 30 auctions going, approx 1500 views combined, and almost 600 watchers...but only a handful of tiny token starting bids.
The nature of the feeding frenzy is in last bit of the auction so I know the game. The process just reminds me of when I was a kid and would throw piece of food to the chickens. They would all go running for it..then gather around and stare at it till one of them pecks. Then its a full on frenzy.
Traffic is good and they are nice pipes so I'm sure just by default ill be shipping some to folks from here that buy from the bidding sites. With such cheap starts they will all go to new homes and hopefully be enjoyed.
To those others that sell online. Isn't it a comedy at the beginnings of auctions. I'm really enjoying seeing a 500 retail pipe, start at .01 then get 100 watchers in a matter of minutes, then not even a token bid. Just like me when I buy, we all poise and try strategy to plan around the timing of last minutes while not upsetting the boat or drawing attention with early bids.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
And no one has asked but I would prefer to not give any links. Just thought to say that outright. Not intending on advertising with this thread. Just the comrade of other sellers and enjoying the flock circling for the kill.
I'm just watching my screen and twisting my mustache. In my head I almost feel like I should be saying. "No, I expected you to die Mr. Bond..." Muhahaha!!!
I don't smoke these and really am not pinned into any corner on final price so I'm sure that's adding to the fun for me. I have already been eyeing where to reinvest the sales into. Thanks for those humoring me as they know exactly what I'm enjoying. Hurray for Christmas play money!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I hear ya. I have been an eBay addict for some years now (sports memorabilia, gifts and pipes primarily). I sold my first pipe on eBay last week and it got a token bid quickly ... and then sat until the day before it ended before another one came in. There wasn't much of a feeding frenzy (I didn't start my Peterson at one cent), but it sold for a price I was happy with. Only lost $10 on what I paid for it originally.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I can never understand why people start bidding high days before the end of an auction. I always go in with maybe 10 seconds left and never tip my hand. When I see lots of bidding way before the end of an auction, I generally stay away because the end price is inevitably way over the price I am willing to pay,

May 31, 2012
Yep, it is fun watching the watchers.
Something funny happened with me the last clutch of pipes I sold, I had listed a Stanwell black bamboo poker at a buy-it-now of $125, well below the $160 I paid when bought new, and somebody decided to bid on it, taking away the b-i-n option, well that damn pipe ended up selling for $220!!!! I actually made a profit, so thanks to the person who put in a silly bid instead of b-i-n I got very lucky!
I often bid early, go with my highest offer and let it stand, unless it's something I really really want, and then I'll resort to the sinister sniping devices.
I also like when a buyer sends a message, I got a couple telling me about how happy they were and how clean the pipe was...some people don't even leave feedback.
A few years back I sold a rare Nirvana 7" colored vinyl 1000 ltd ed record for $275, the idiot buyer tried to claim that the item never arrived, but she had already left feedback saying how it was the "most ugly but best packaging she'd ever seen", so it was an easy case to dispute, can you imagine what an idiot would do that?!?!? LOL I got lucky on that one!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I get a few pipe and tobacciana ebay watch site lists with weekly updates, it shows how many watchers an auction has. I've bought a few pipes that didn't make my Ebay watch list from that site or seeing what other items a seller had. A sure fire way to separate money from my wallet...

Status
Not open for further replies.