PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was digging around looking for a few of my regular rottation blends to open and smoke and began running across some aged tins. I found a 6/12 Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, a 8/12 tin of Dunhill Flake, a 10/12 Peterson Irish Flake and a 12/12 Hamborger Veermaster. I cracked them all and smoked the Veermaster first and am now smoking the Wessex BCDF. It seems like just yesterday when I made the decision to go balls to the walls building my cellar and now I have a ton of tins that are over a year old. I do have bunches of aged stuff that I bought as aged mostly 2002-2008, but the bulk of my stash was bought beginning in the late summer to early fall of 2012. I can definitely tell the difference of the Wessex as compared to fresh and I know this blend will be sublime witj a decade or more. It is amazing how time flies and how quickly a stash can age. Anyone else seeing this?

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Past weekend was myself going through some old jarrings. Milk and Honey, I liked butternut so much I orderd 4 ounces of this. Tried it a few times. Jarred it up and forgot. 1.5 years later on a whim opened it. Since Saturday can't stop smoking this stuff. Amazing what a little age can do.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I guess I'm going to have to start storing up tins and stop with the pipes......Well, not totally stops with the pipes :)

Dec 24, 2012
Harris, I am in the same boat. Two-thirds of my cellar now has over 6 months in age from the time I cellared the stuff (some of it was tinned much earlier). The graph at the bottom entitled "Cellar Container Aging Breakdown" says it all.
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/peckinpahhombre

Dec 24, 2012
Heh, you are a funny guy Allan.
It was a good day for the cellar today - I got home and what did I find in the mail? 4 bags of Stonehaven and 15 tins of Penzance. Santa loves me.

Dec 24, 2012
Allan - it is no secret. When the well-known online vendors get it in, I just contact the little, less well-known B&Ms, and they are often more than happy to sell it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Most of my cellar has 6 months or less on it, but I do have a good bit with a year or more on it, and some with several years. My oldest is a 7 year old tin of Mac Baren Roll Cake, which was that old when I bought it.

The oldest stuff in my stash was bought already old, but I do have a few that I keep stashing more of every couple of months. The other day I had a dilemma. I needed a Virginia, but should I crack open the oldest which was a few months old or the one that was only a few weeks? I went with the one that was weeks old. I figured the older ones were of more value, even if it was just a few months.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Yes, even six months of ageing can make a difference.
Some brands I can smoke directly from a new tin, others require a few months just to settle down.
The Virginias that you mention will age spectacularly.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just opened my tin of 8/12 Dunhill flake and was amazed at how dark it has already gotten. The fllavors are really nice even with so little age to it. It is probably 4 stages darker than when fresh. I am really enjoying smoking this bowl.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
My oldest is six months. So, ya know, its coming along. Lol.
I jar about an ounce from every blend I've gotten (bulk, bag and tin), so my cellar of mini-jars is coming along. I don't have the space or money to buy bulk of tin or bulk bags. The jars will do considering at my rate I'll build up quite a cellar just by doing that.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Started my cellar in June. In the last 6 months I'm up to over 21 lbs and 136 containers. I'm no Peck, but I'm second to him in most containers added recently on the site!
My oldest is 1997 Christmas Cheer. I do have 4 tins over 10 years. The oldest tobacco I've smoked at this point is 2002 Orlik Golden Sliced I cracked a few months ago.
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/SlimPickens

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have been smoking a pipe for about four years. Some of my stash is at least that old.
Winton

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Been trying different tobaccos for the last couple of years and just now am starting to find a few I like regularly. I just placed an order for a pound of Scotty's Butternut Burley(P&C) and two 100 gram tins of FM Cellar. Plus I grabbed Cube Silver to try. I plan to order more next month for long term storage.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I wish I had the time, money and space for further cellaring. It'll just have to wait and grow over time. I'm not worried about tobaccogeddon.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jordan, when you cracked the Orlik, was it almost all black in color? In the summer of 2012, I cracked a tin of the Golden Sliced that was dated 1997 and the stuff was totally black. I am not a fan of that blend when fresh as the grassy component is off putting to me but the aged stuff was incredible tasting.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Darker, yes. Black, no. I have my reservations it was actually that old. It was good, but didn't blow my mind. I could tell quite a bit of difference between that and a fresh tin. Much deeper flavor profile. But I expected more.

Status
Not open for further replies.