PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I love this shape, blast and age but alas knew it was not to be mine. The bidding was fierce on this one. Anyone watch this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/390978861683?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Spose that might help. To see your face would as well jarit. :mrgreen:

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Oooh, that's a darling Barling. What a blast, too!
The bees, the bees!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, the lunatics were busy elsewhere, or have been otherwise had their attention pulled by the slate of unsmoked Barlings posted by Treasurepipes. I thought that the Dunn Barling would go for more money because of the provenance, but that and the other auction are pretty fair prices.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That seems about right for the Oom-Paul shape.

I also saw those unsmoked Treasurepipe offerings, wow.
$_57.JPG

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Forgive my ignorance, but thought that pre-transition Barlings had three numbers for a stamp. I know that I could be wrong on that.
In addition, Barling made very few bents leaving it to their competition, I believe BBB. In my searching I have not seen an Oom Paul made by Barling in the early years.
If this is really an early Barling, this is a rare pipe.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's a stunning blast. And it's a pre-trans Barling. And an oom paul to boot. Given what the "lunatics" have been paying for Barlings lately, I'm surprised this one didn't go higher.
These days, I'm glad I'm not a Barling collector. The last Barling I bid on went for over $1,000. I knew my $250-ish bid was a low-ball, but wowzer! I've seen some very reasonable prices on Dunhills, lately, though.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
but thought that pre-transition Barlings had three numbers for a stamp.

From Steve's listing: "(as Barling's collectors know, all pre-transition Barling's pipes sold for the European market began with the number 1)"

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Barling created a separate model numbering system, using 2 and 3 digits, as well as 3 digits with a letter modifier, at the behest of their US distributor, Mr. Nichols. Their model numbers for the home and European market were four digits beginning with a 1.
I'm certainly finding these prices very entertaining, especially when I have almost identical pieces that I've acquired, that are in better condition, for about 1/4 of what these guys are shelling out.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
I just picked up a pre-transition, make that a 'family era' Barling pot, smooth finish (actually with some angle hair straight grain) for $110 on a B&M site, size EL. Just a perfect piece. Under the radar indeed.
Richard

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not carping; its a great looker and a handsome finish. However, because of the extreme

double-back in the airway on all Oom Pauls, I have a serious question about how well this

would smoke, stay dry, and clean up. If it has genius engineering, it could be good, or it could

gurgle like an espresso machine and be impossible to keep clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.