PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Great Nature shots, some Muzzle loader pistol firing 3 times without reloading, Great Bear mauling scene. Read the book, why is the book always better than the Movie? Is it because our imagination is more vivid than what man can produce. All in all I was satisfied with it, Leo got his Oscar,

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Read the book, why is the book always better than the Movie? Is it because our imagination is more vivid than what man can produce.
And more information density, but yes, that. Also: writers of great books are usually much smarter than anyone in Hollywood.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Please, Let us not devolve into another "the book was better" discussion :( yes, telling a story with images and spoken dialogue is ENTIRELY different from telling a story with words alone. Also, as a general rule, the audience for each is VERY different, but it's where there's crossover that we get "books are better" type discussions.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Also, as a general rule, the audience for each is VERY different, but it's where there's crossover that we get "books are better" type discussions.
I think it has more to do with what is being conveyed. For some forms of expression, a book is not better. But when a movie review says "the book was better," that's an important signal: the movie was a waste of time, from someone who is a fan of both books and movies.
In other words, I think you've made the wrong call here. This is not a books-versus-movies discussion, but a point being made about this specific movie versus this specific book.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I find when you read a book you have the characters formed in your head of what they look like etc.. So when you see the movie everything is different than you imagined it. I thought the Revenant was a good film.

I was just thinking about reading the other day. These little letters, which are pictures or symbols, you run your eyes across them and it makes words, ideas, worlds in your brain, openning your mind up to a whole cosmos created by some guy and a keyboard. It unfolds in your brain, connecting with a world inside someone else's mind that may live thousands of miles away or have been dead for hundreds of years...

Yeh, the pistols firing more than once bothered me. :puffy:

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
And more information density, but yes, that.
Yes, that. I haven't read the book, but I'm sure it's packed with information. The film on the other hand feels a little empty. The acting is excellent, the sceneries are exceptional. But in my opinion the film dragged on a little, a lot of scenes have very little happening in them.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
I think each work must be judged for itself.

If you read "The Charterhouse Of Parma"'s description of the Waterloo battle you don't care if it is faithful to the real battle or if the battle's chronicles look more nice than the fiction.

That said, the Revenant movie for me was just boring.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I watched it a second time and Shawn I concur with you it was empty, more cineramatic, beautiful scenery, than telling a good story, all in all I liked it but then I"m not a critic, but then I've liked movies that critics said were s%#t .

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
But in my opinion the film dragged on a little, a lot of scenes have very little happening in them.
Agreed there. Why must new movies be three hours long? Five years ago, two hours were the max. I guess we can blame cable television, with shows like Breaking Bad, etc. that can have five seasons to tell a story. I have a hard time sitting in a movie theater for three hours. So, I pretty much don't. I watched a Oscar screener version of the Revenant, from the comfort of my couch, in two sittings.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I love violent movies. I think artistically, the director set out for violence overload. Every single thing in this movie, the wind, the weather, the water, the land, the animals, the people, everything was violent. By the end of the film (which DID run a bit long), the violence wasn't fun anymore and I was ready for the movie to end. That has never happened to me before.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It unfolds in your brain, connecting with a world inside someone else's mind that may live thousands of miles away or have been dead for hundreds of years...
That's pretty poetic, and highly accurate.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Didn't care for all the dream/near death scenes or whatever they were. I also didn't understand the close up camera shots. Liked it other than those two nitpicks. 4/5

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
I thought the movie was pretty good though I'm sure he would of died from hyperthermia when he was floating down that river. I know it is petty but had to say it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We (my wife and I) have to see this film. It was at the big multi-plex nearby, but now is at the $3 theater (used to be the $1.50 theater). But first we have to see the Miles Davis movie for fear it will close first. Sometimes good movies stay about three days. The Revenant is based, at least in part, on Hugh Glass, who was the subject of a poem by the poet John G. Neihardt, poet laureate of Nebraska who later taught at U. Mo. I guess there is a more recent book, but the origins of the re-telling of this true story goes back at least that far. JGN was an Indian agent and lived into his 90's; I actually heard him lecture and my wife had a class with him. I'm sorry to hear they have a muzzle loader behaving like a Glock.

Status
Not open for further replies.