PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
How high will it go? I've not seen a Dunhill rated this way before.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunhill-DR-F-or-6-Star-Straight-Grain-Pipe-lightly-used-fantastic-grain-very-/121661296932?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c53941124

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Except for the sand pits, that would be a fairly decent Charatan. :mrgreen:
But yeah, it will see for 5 times as much, LOL.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Dunhill used several methods of nomenclature on the Dead Root pipes, the earliest wasn't quite standard so they changed it to a lettering system with A being the bottom and H being the highest, they uses the * now which equates to the lettering system. My 1948 Dead Root Root C-EE as the nomenclature states is a lower grade pot group 3 than the one listed, to my eyes I don't see how the pipe listed is an F grade!
52735a95424c5bace2c82be2ddc5c75f53e20a7.jpg

banjo

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I'm partial to Dunhill DR Billiards, despite the price. But that's a really weak example. I don't see how they dared grade it so highly with those sand pits in the first place. And the grain isn't any better than I've seen on B's or C's. *And* it's dinged up, and recent vintage. What a waste of money, even by the standards of buying Dunhills...

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Wow, that is flippin ridiculous. I don't know where Dunhill gets off grading that as the highest end straight grain. It is just OK in my eyes. Even if it were that good, that price is downright shameful. Think of how much good a person could do with those thousands.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
banjo's DR blows that eBay DR to shame. But, whomever really wanted it and has (??) the cash, then to each his own. It will be interesting to see if it shows back up for sale.

May 31, 2012
I agree it was over-graded.
Jeez.
Turned out to be some pretty expensive nomenclature.
I'm reminded of Milne's old essay from the 20's...
(excerpt)
However, it is the pipe rather than the tobacco which marks him as belonging to this particular school. He pins his faith, not so much to its labour-saving devices as to the white spot outside, the white spot of an otherwise aimless life. This tells the world that it is one of THE pipes. Never was an announcement more superfluous. From the moment, shortly after breakfast, when he strikes his first match to the moment, just before bed-time, when he strikes his hundredth, it is obviously THE pipe which he is smoking.
For whereas men of an older school, like myself, smoke for the pleasure of smoking, men of this school smoke for the pleasure of pipe-owning—of selecting which of their many white-spotted pipes they will fill with their specially-blended tobacco, of filling the one so chosen, of lighting it, of taking it from the mouth to gaze lovingly at the white spot and thus letting it go out, of lighting it again and letting it go out again, of polishing it up with their own special polisher and putting it to bed, and then the pleasure of beginning all over again with another white- spotted one. They are not so much pipe-smokers as pipe-keepers; and to have spoken as I did just now of their owning pipes was wrong, for it is they who are in bondage to the white spot. This school is founded firmly on four years of war. When at the age of eighteen you are suddenly given a cheque-book and called “Sir,” you must do something by way of acknowledgment. A pipe in the mouth makes it clear that there has been no mistake—you are undoubtedly a man. But you may be excused for feeling after the first pipe that the joys of smoking have been rated too high, and for trying to extract your pleasure from the polish on the pipe’s surface, the pride of possessing a special mixture of your own, and such-like matters, rather than from the actual inspiration and expiration of smoke. In the same way a man not fond of reading may find delight in a library of well-bound books. They are pleasant to handle, pleasant to talk about, pleasant to show to friends. But it is the man without the library of well-bound books who generally does most of the reading...
...For my young friends are always trying to persuade me to join their school, to become one of the white-spotted ones. I have no desire to be of their company, but I am prepared to make a suggestion to the founder of the school. It is that he should invent a pipe, white spot and all, which smokes itself. His pupils could hang it in the mouth as picturesquely as before, but the incidental bother of keeping it alight would no longer trouble them.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
That is crazy, I paid less than 1/4 for my Dead Root C-EE from 1948, I'm sure it was due to it being a pot shape which for some reason has lost favor but to me it's a classic shape and a wonderful smoker. Regards.

banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.