Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Watch Out or Watch On?

(142 posts)
  1. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

White gold, the engraving was done by Rolex, so the faithful can breath easy. I hate white gold.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Ah, provenance, whew. Whats the issue with White Gold?

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cool, I don't have any articles or anything to back-up the claim that the have watch was an actual world record. It was just based on a friend in NC who posted the reward and pics. That makes me wonder about the $50,000 reward. But, I was just awed by the detail work. I'm not a skulls kind of guy, personally, but it was sharp.

I don't like white gold because it is a PITA to work with, and shavings can corrupt ANY of the other metals in the studio. Then, you have nickel based or palladium based, and a whole range of white golds requiring specific recipes to do repairs. Then, when done working with it, you have to deal with the plating on the majority of it; acids, rectifiers, etc... I do tradework for several jewelry stores, and I pass on all white gold work. I "can" work with white gold, I just prefer not to. I have a nickel allergy, and the wrong recipe can send me into anaphylaxis with sores all over my hands and arms. If someone has any sort of metal allergy, it can cause them to have an unexplained health symptoms that can baffle doctors for a long time. I recommend anyone wanting a luxury white metal to go for palladium or platinum; both 100% hypoallergenic.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'm finding W.A.D is much stronger than P.A.D these days....My wife is going to kill me. I'm fighting the urge to buy a Seiko diver. Still trying to find my "one" watch. I want to practice for when I buy an Omega or Rolex. I like my eco drive, but I'm scheduled for night shift right now, so it's very dark all the time. And that watch isnt very tough, for the railroad. So I'm thinking an automatic diver, with all the moving I do, would work well for me.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unless they're putting you in a hole, ambient light should be just fine for your eco. But, I don’t actually have “first hand” experience. (Puntended)
    It’s interesting to check out pawnshops for watches also. Sometimes you can find some real deals.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

didiemau, make sure if you fall for a Seiko diver, get the 28 jewel (not the SKX007, non-hacking movement). HCN35 I think is what you want.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Growing up we all wore watches. I stopped wearing one over 10 years ago and have had only a few times where I needed to know the exact minute and hour repeatedly so as to justify wearing one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I don’t have one, I tend to lose track of time in the studio. My dad just taught me to use my watch to make sure that each job I do at the bench stays on track. Sizing a ring, a repromg, retip, setting a stone; all have their alotted time. Meanwhile, the ultrasonic, vestment, melting, all have times too, and everything is happening at once in the studio. My watch keeps me from losing track, and gives me a few minutes to scan the forum.
    Even when out running errands, my watch allows me to keep track of what I am doing and have left to do. If I relied on my phone... so many times, I have opened my phone just to check the time and boom, email, Facebook, instagram... I’ve lost track of what I was doing. And, my wife is calling me to find out why I didn’t meet the vet at the church to get the cat’s meds. I just “need” a watch.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, nice collection you have. I had a mechanical watch in the late 70s that might have been a Marlin. No idea where that watch landed. My Citizen ecodrives are incredibly accurate for the price point but lack that mechanical "it" factor. I bought this Chrono with a 3133 movement 4 or so years ago for $25 and have only rediscovered it in a cigar box of odds and ends. So far it is keeping good time, only losing 3 seconds over 40 days. I might get it cleaned and have someone adjust it. In serious need of new bars and a strap.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sweet piece. I keep contemplating a chrono. I have never needed a stop watch, but I like the concept and look. Maybe if I take up racing or experiments... something to justify.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can always use it to time your smoking cadence. I use timers in the field/lab so they are almost always required wear. Besides I like the look of aviators and aviator-chronos.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the tip Al! The 007 was what I was looking at.

Now I just have to try to find the one you are talking about!

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

https://www.chrono24.com/seiko/prospex-automatic-diver-45mm-srp777--id7531823.htm

4R36 movement is the upgrade (hand wound/hacking ability).

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am happy to have, what I think is my old watch back.

That is a fantastic story.

I hope someday you find the thief, and can unplug his catheter or something.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I fell prey to a Hamilton Pilot Pioneer Auto today, via Ashford (on sale, plus a promo discount). An homage to the British RAF watches from the 1970's.
    http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collection/khaki/aviation/pilot-pioneer-auto/h76455133

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice, the face is easy to read, but yet detailed. And a classy metal band. Nice. American Spirit and Swiss Precision. Congrats. That’ll compliment anything from denims to dress slacks and get you there on time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Al, that's so weird that you posted that. I am going to be buying a hamilton khaki watch. Automatic, 100m water reasistance, 80hr power reserve, luminescent hands, and 24hr time. I have been researching, trying to find a good watch for every day, and for work. One watch to rule them all. I already started saving for it. This one has everything I need.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

headhunter

Login to Send PM

After college and back from Vietnam I got a great job with Xerox, at the time the top marketing company in the US. I vowed to have a Rolex and Volvo 164(at that time a very yuppie car) by the time I was 30. I had to wait until I was 31 but I had both. the Volvo is long gone but my Rolex gold and stainless is still going strong. I’ll be 74 next week so I have had it for 43 years. I have had new crystals and have had it cleaned but that’s it. The only time it’s off my wrist is when I shower. I have both of my Grandfathers pocket watches. They both run and I have them displayed in a glass dome. Much to my dismay I can’t do pictures, but I would love to.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Kevin, that was second on my list! (Jomas & Ashford had that one at a very nice price). Great choice.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yup Al, Jomas is where I'll be buying it. I like them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice! I don’t ever see Hamiltons in the retail shops I do benchwork for. I need to look into them closer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'm a member of watchuseek, but haven't posted, as I'm new to watches. I'd rather just talk about them on this thread! Lol

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since I bought my Hamilton Khaki King last month, I've also bought a Longines Hydroconquest 300m automatic diver on a stainless bracelet and an Oris BC3 Advanced Day/Date automatic on leather.

The Longines has the same amazing timekeeping that the Hamilton has but the Oris (the most expensive of the three) lost three seconds overnight (it only arrived yesterday). Three seconds really isn't bad at all for a non COSC watch but nevertheless a slight disappointment.

At 42mm it's the largest size I am comfortable with due to my skinny wrists, my normal preference is circa 40mm.

Didi, if you go for that watch you will have the same movement as in Al's new watch, the H10. My Hamilton has the H40 as it displays the day as well as the date. The new H movements (modified ETA movements) gain their amazing 80 power reserve at the expense of a slightly lower beat rate....down from 28,800 to 26,100 VPH. This is only noticeable in the ever so slight stuttering of the sweep hand. Well worth it in my view. If you do buy it I'm certain you'll love it.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the tip Jay!

Looking at the other watches in that line, I'm wondering which watch would be better. They make the same watch in manual wind, for cheaper, but I know nothing of the movements. I think An automatic would be best for me for all the walking I do in a day, but for longevity reasons I'm not sure which one would be better.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don’t have any of the self-winding automatics, but they are supposed to work with any motion, evn a flick of the wrist. I have manuals and quartzes. I don’t mind winding it every morning, and I notice quickly if I forget. Having a cell phone to check precision is a bonus. It sucked mostly in the days when we would have to bother someone for the time to reset. But, I wouldn’t turn down an automatic. I have seen more of them needing repairs, but it might also be because there were just more of them out there for a while. Maybe someone else would have a better reason for one over the other.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"....but I know nothing of the movements"

Didi, the Hamilton H10 caliber in the watch you are considering is a slightly souped up ETA 2824-2 movement which happens to be the most popular of all Swiss movements, often used in much higher priced watches.....and I'm talking thousands here!

The only drawback I can see of the whole H series is the lack of regulation adjustment.....clearly seen if you have an exhibition caseback. They are set at the factory by laser and as far as I am aware are not able to be regulated by your local watch maker/repairer.

That said, by everything I have read, and it is much, they keep cracking time right out of the box (well within the strict COSC guidelines despite not being COSC certified) and keep on doing so.

Fear not Didi....buy your Hamilton and wear it with pride.....remember, "American Spirit, Swiss Precision".

Keep us updated and possibly show a pic or two.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Regulation adjustment...sounds intriguing...

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Didi (or anyone else considering buying a Hamilton watch) might find the following to be interesting.

http://timetransformed.com/2015/02/06/five-things-you-didnt-know-about-hamilton/

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

So due to budgetary constraints, (rent AND a mortgage) I decided to go with a seiko 5 instead. I figured I should also make sure I enjoy the automatic lifestyle before jumping in head first.

It still has everything I need in a watch.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

The Seiko 5 has been around for a long time and is a great watch, good choice!

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent Didi. I’ve lost all of my bids recently for watches. On one, I just knew I was going to get a Brathwait for $100. But then it got crazy at the last minute, and some fool piad $50 over going retail. They are a brand new company, and I think that people are gambling that they will be a finer collectible some day, only releasing very limited selections, like one new design a year, a US maker collaborating with Rolex, I think. But, they are very affordable right now.
    And, bidding on Marlins right now is crazy competative. You can still get crappy ones cheap, but...

I love the large face on that one, Didi, and that band looks like it could be casual to dressy if you needed. Congrats!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys! It's bigger then I imagined in the face, and I had to remove 4 links to get it to fit, but it's perfect now.

I already started breaking it in, and I wore it while changing my oil, and had to wash it already. Haha.

I think I'm going to like this one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent choice. I have three Seiko 5 watches and they all have the indestructible 7S27 automatic movement. They are also a doddle to regulate.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the look of this one. Kind of a mid century modern I think.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is that yours, seacaptain? Would look smoothe with a tan textured leather band, Imo. I love those Marlins!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, I was just commenting on a pic upthread.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha! I’m an idiot. I actually put a tan textured band on that one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I fell prey to another Borealis. This Sea Storm was offered with a local to me pick up and I grabbed it earlier this week. Its smaller than my Seafarer (41 vs 44), which always feels just a little too large. This one is an homage to the Blancplain Fifty Fathoms watch. I'd never have the coin for one of those reissues ($8k or vintage $15k), but love the look. It came with this suede band and a rubber divers strap. I ordered the black, weathered leather strap from Martu, pictured below. I also bought a cheap shark-mesh strap on Ebay, to test, I'm not sure I'll like that kind of strap (but appropriately vintaged to the watch). I may end up selling the Seafarer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Niiiice!!! I am also picky about bands. I have a drawer of bands that didn’t cut it for me. They looked great in the store or online but just didn’t feel good against my skin. The older I get the more sensitive my skin on my wrist gets. So, I know the hesitancy on band selection. That one looks great though. I’m also not afraid to stray away from bands that aren’t traditional to the watch.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On the subject of straps, a couple of weeks ago I bought two, one was a 'Fullmosa' and the other was an 'Omyzam'. Both claimed to be 100% genuine leather.....alas the Omyzam was actually a thick rubber strap with a wafer thin layer of leather glued and stitched to it!. Made in China you see!

My one star review is to be found here under the name 'J G Roland'......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074SGK3YT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sadly many gullible folks think they got a top quality thick and flexible strap not realising it's actually bloody cheapo rubber.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

My Seiko started giving me a rash the other day. I should have known it would, I get one from my belt buckles as well. So I ordered a green nato strap for it. Similar to the one I just put on my citizen. I think it looks much better. Excited to get the new one for my Seiko now.
    Here's the citizen with the nato.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. shanegreen

shanegreen

Login to Send PM

They're plum loco. All of them.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  45. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't worn a watch in ten years and don't miss it. The only watch I'd consider now would be one of the Apple watches. I considered one for about ten seconds and decided no. I will say, when they make one that only requires charging once per month, I'll possibly reconsider.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

hoosierpipeguy, I've been wearing Samsung Gear S2 for a while now to track my sleep, steps, heartbeats, etc. They are very useful however as you have mentioned, a little bit pain in the butt because of that charging thing. It charges really fast but recharging it every other 2 days is somewhat tiring.

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  47. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hoosierpipeguy, I've been wearing Samsung Gear S2 for a while now to track my sleep, steps, heartbeats, etc. They are very useful however as you have mentioned, a little bit pain in the butt because of that charging thing. It charges really fast but recharging it every other 2 days is somewhat tiring.

Given my incredibly poor sleep habits and basic disregard for my health, I'm not sure I want to track any of these things. LOL

What I thought could be handy with the Apple watch was to be able to step away from my phone and still have a short phone call. Or to handle a short text message. And perhaps use a few of the apps such as a calculator. I think nice watches look ... nice! LOL I don't like wearing them. And since I own my own business and am getting older, I don't like the idea that time controls me. As I near the age of 61, I don't want to be reminded I've logged well more time than I have left either.

With that said, I'm a dedicated technie nerd type, so I suspect I'll eventually give in to the urge and get one. If nothing else, I can remember watching Dick Tracy comics when I was younger and seeing him speak into a watch. The idea that I can do that now as an adult holds a bit of fascination for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never much liked the feel of a watch on my wrist, or a ring on my finger.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

@shanegreen - as a restaurant manager in the late 80's , I had and loved that Casio calculator watch!

I added a Staib mesh bracelet for the Sea Storm. They are a German company who make the factory mesh bracelets for Breitling and Omega. I picked it up NOS. The quality is incredible and fits the vintage look of the watch but does add some heft to the watch, so I'll use it in the summer.

Since getting the Sea Storm, I wasn't wearing the larger Seafarer. I swapped it for this Zelos DMT (Diver Medical Tehnician). Zelos is another micro-brand company, but they use Swiss movements (Stellita SW200-1). It is modeled after the 60's Aquastar (Jacques Costeau wore one) and later copied by Seiko for the Turtle. It has a funky 70's vibe that I like.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

My wife has a Fit Bit and loves it. She's been on a weight loss/fitness program in the past six months (and looks pretty damn good!) The features of that type watch are fascinating, but I couldn't wear something like that. I stumbled across this the other day. A kickstarter program put the "Smart Buckle" type data into a traditional style strap buckle. Having to charge yet another product every couple of days is not appealing to me, but might interest others here.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Buckle-Activity-Tracker-Notifications/dp/B075RV4HFZ

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Given my incredibly poor sleep habits and basic disregard for my health, I'm not sure I want to track any of these things. LOL

Fair enough. According to that watch, I am not doing fine either

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cosmic

I also compulsively check my watch whenever someone starts talking to me

Too funny !!

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still like watches, currently have a Citizen Eco-Drive Titamium since early 2000's. Wanted a Tag Heuer, but my jeweler friend said get a Citizen. Mine is similiar to this.

Jason
    Posted 1 year ago #
  54. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great watches, Casios bring back memories. And, when I worked in my dad's jewelry store, we always recommended Citizens... because they were the most expensive watches in the store. But, they are great watches. I still love mine. They were sorta "the" jewelry store watch of the time. Some stores were Citizens stores and some were Seiko... at least that's how it was in the 80's. If you wanted a Rolex, you went to a bigger city.

When I saw the Fitbits, Apple Watches, and all of the other tracking, phone, and TM watches hit the shelves, I was very, very tempted. But, then going down the checklist, talking into my phone with my hearing getting so bad would just make me look crazier than just being the old man walking his dog with a pipe in his mouth. I would then be the old man standing on the corner with a pipe in his mouth yelling into his arm while his dog pisses on his leg.
    I don't need GPS, as my daughters had me "chipped," because I kept getting lost in the backyard.
    Trying to text on my phone was bad enough with my huge thumbs making ets girtk fgijn hit r midd. And, then trying to read the smaller watch size...
    And, it's not my heart rate that needs monitoring, it's my blood pressure. None of them monitor that, even though in Smokey and the Bandit, Bufford T. Burgess had one. Remember him holding his arms out saying his mantra, "Homina homina homina.." to get his blood pressure down?

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

G shocks anyone?

Some may poopoo on them, but pound for pound, longevity/toughness/ accuracy you really can't beat them.

Posted 4 months ago #
  56. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still wear a very battered 1917/18 trench watch with wire lugs, large sized winder with the big red 12 on the dial on a knackered leather bracelet with the shrapnel guard with my Uncle Charles service number engraved on the back. Got it when he passed on and it still tells the time so that works for me so thats the only watch I need 100 years later.

Posted 4 months ago #
  57. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wear a Garmin Fenix 3. It has GPS and other functions that are very valuable for what I do. The only draw back is that is needs charged once a week, unless I'm really hard on the GPS then it needs charged daily.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 4 months ago #
  58. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Condor, I'd like to see that watch!

Posted 4 months ago #
  59. wolflarsen

wolflarsen

Login to Send PM

I was a pocket watch guy until I started carrying a phone in my pocket all the time. Now a watch just feels redundant.

Posted 4 months ago #
  60. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@didimauw it shows up in the odd picture of me on here. I can try posting it from photo bucket if you would like.

Posted 4 months ago #
  61. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't have expensive watches, just one that a collector friend gave me. But because I hate seeing my phone all of the time, I always wear an analog watch. No digital, no data, no GPS. Simple and time.

Posted 4 months ago #
  62. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pretty cool, Didi!! Did they have to remove your frostbitten arm, or was the snake grafted on surgically to help save your arm?

Like pipes, if you like it, and it serves your needs, it's a great watch.

Keeping time is all I want my watch to do, big numbers, no fancy dials within dials, nor any chrono... I'll tolerate a date window, because apparently watch designers think they're so "in demand" that they put them on all watches... all watches with any value, that is.

How timely this thread was revived... I just ordered a new Swiss Military yesterday, wanting something to wear while in the garden this year. I have a problem... and, recognizing it is the first step. I had to stop buying Marlins, because I felt like the damned things owned me, like fish. Always having to feed it every day, winding them to keep them going, whether I wear it that day or not. I was starting to get to be afraid of leaving the house on a trip, afraid my watches would die, ha ha "Can you drop by and water my plants and wind my watches?"

Would that be WAD? I'll have to reread this thread to see if we have already made some jokes about WADs?

Posted 4 months ago #
  63. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

WAD exists.......don't spend much time on the WatchUSeek forums....I've already changed my small watch group over a few times....

Currently:
    Longines Hydroconquest - dress diver

Damasko DS30 - casual watch

DS30-Y-Erikas-MN-1

Steinhart Ocean Vintage One - vintage homage

And recent addition, a Helson Turtle - summer diver, because I'll never spring for a Doxa!

Posted 4 months ago #
  64. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

And, after several years of searching, I finally found a replacement bezel for my 30 year old Seiko. It rec'd a new bracelet and I polished the case. It's my rough jobs watch - lawn, garage work, etc. It still keeps perfect time (Quartz).

CIMG4950

Posted 4 months ago #
  65. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hopefully this works - anyway here is my bashed up on trench watch!

image1-124_zpsec4o3eyg.JPG

Posted 4 months ago #
  66. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope this helps...

Photobucket has been being jerky about forum posts for a while now.

Anyways, that's a beauty, Condor. Do you know the maker on that?

Posted 4 months ago #
  67. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Haha Cosmic. When u smoke too much Carter Hall, it starts to turn your skin blue. So watch out, I know that's your favorite blend.

My first g shock I had attached to my Train work bag, and it fell off and disappeared. Ever since then I've just kept buying more...

I have an analog g shock as well....

WAD....

Posted 4 months ago #
  68. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No camera so not my picture but this is my latest everyday knockabout. Orient Ray II. A hackable automatic which can also be hand wound. Not expensive, not brilliant, just decent for a pleb like me and more watch than I expected given the cost. I will put a double domed sapphire crystal on it because the mineral it came with won't stay scratch free for long on my wrist. I'm also tempted to put a new strap on it because it came with hollow end links and pins, instead of screws but honestly, apart from that the strap is pretty good and those were both modifications I knew I would do when I bought it. It's running a little fast at about 5 seconds a day which at this price point is nothing to complain about, I think.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  69. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very Cool, and brand loyal. I like that. For some reason, every time I think of Casio, I hear those old video game theme songs using the Casio electronic sounds. But, in looking over their website, they have really stayed cutting edge with their products. That analog is sharp, Didi.

And, very nice Jazz. I rarely keep the straps they come with also.

Posted 4 months ago #
  70. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ cosmic. Thank you for coming to the aid of those of us that don't do the 21st century! I think the watch is a Benson. It has a double case to keep the dirt out with the standard trench watch big winder. It has a Swiss movement and is starting to show its age since the escape wheel was rebalanced about 10 years ago and I think the watch maker screwed up as the watch loses about six minutes a day. I have been told that to cure the problem would risk killing the watch so I make allowances when catching trains and the such alike by arriving 15 minutes early. The lugs of the watch are soldered to the case so any new watch strap would have to be hand sewn on and hence my use of the original leather bracelet which has been replaced over the years although the buckle is original and like the case solid silver. The shrapnel guard covers the face and loops onto the leather strap and is also made of silver.

Posted 4 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ben88, redglow, supdog, trubka2, jaytex969, jcdarin, winton, alaskanpiper